Monday 17 February 2020

A White Rabbit Valentine's Dinner

He booked The White Rabbit for a Valentine's Day dinner three days prior to the Day itself. Yup, I was surprised he managed to get a table too!

I had long read that this was a romantic and gorgeous place so I had wanted to check it out.
It is set in a 1930s grand chapel. I thought it cute that they played on the words.
We tried to enter via this entrance but was ignored even when the staff walked past the door! So we made our way to the other side of the building to enter via The Rabbit Hole where a bar and alfresco drinking lounge were located.

There is a spacious drinking area at one end of the restaurant

Taken from where I was seated

It was a crowded day. All the tables were occupied and the diners at the centre tables were seated quite closely to one another! There was ambience music but it was largely overpowered by the market-level talking made by the lovebirds!

Very lovely place indeed but ambience for romantic dining is not that fantastic. Not very private except perhaps for the circle booth seats at the sides of the restaurant that I did not take pictures of.
The circle booth seats are the ones with accompanying arched lamps. 

Put the request down in the 'Notes' when you are placing a reservation if you want those tables.
The menu for the day

We decided to try all. So one set on the right for him and one set on the left for me.
This was served before the appetiser. It tasted like creme brulee or puree made of beetroot.

William did not like it. While I was not repulsed by it, I acknowledged that it would be too much if he gave his share to me. One serving was just nice.
The sour dough and a dollop of plain butter

I didn't finish the bread and butter. Period.
          
Appetiser: Ora King Salmon and Scallop Carpaccio
     
                             Wagyu Carpaccio

Basically, they were Italian raw fish slices and raw beef slices. Quite tasteless to me. 
Roasted Kuhlbarra Burramundi

He told me that burramundi is a more costly fish than cod. Then why do I prefer cod over burramundi? 

Well, I thought the burramundi was ordinary. I didn't like the sauce in the dish though.
Iberico Pork Collar

I am not a pork person. If there had been beef or lamb, I would have opted for either. For a non-pork lover, this was acceptable. The meat was tender and succulent for pork. However, at this point, I was starting to fill up. I could not finish the pork collar and had to ask William to finish it. William seemed to enjoy my main course though.
I honestly enjoyed this sorbet the most! 

The sorbet was lime-refreshing and not overly sour like most sorbet. William preferred its heart-shape chocolates though.
Fine Apple Tart

The apple tart came in the form of well-arranged apple slices with crepes underneath. I thought it was delicious and sweet all by itself. The vanilla ice-cream and sweet syrup added another level of sweetness to the already-sweet apple tart. A little too sweet for me.

It is very rare that I enjoy the desserts the most since I do not have a sweet tooth.

You are going to think I am crazy but I love the decor there and I liked even the washroom.
Just outside the washroom. This is so quaint.

I took so many pictures that a Caucasian lady I met outside the washroom asked,"Are you an Instagram person?"

No comments: