Sunday 7 July 2019

Grabbed and Bruised

A few nights ago at 12.20am, Coco was coming home from McDonald's near my place.

A young guy who appeared to be in his early twenties and wearing the Grab Food uniform approached her and asked for her contact number.

Coco told him that she had a boyfriend and was not interested.

Instead of backing down, the guy immediately replied,"I also have a girlfriend. They don't have to know." 

Coco was taken aback by his flippant response. She said that she literally said 'lol' and tried to walk away.

To her shock, the guy grabbed her by the arm. 

It happened very fast. Coco was stunned but before she could respond, a lady who was walking past saw what was happening and asked,"Is there a problem?"

The guy immediately let go of Coco and said,"It was a misunderstanding."

When she came home, she recounted the incident to me, showing me her dark purple bruise.
This was taken two days after the incident

Outraged, I emailed Grab about the incident under 'I felt threatened by the delivery partner'.

Honestly, like Coco, I didn't think it was a big matter at first. I was just very disturbed that the guy had touched Coco in an inappropriate manner. I felt that it would come under 'harassment'. If he had asked Coco for her number just verbally without coming in contact with her body, even if he had pestered her a little, I would have let it go. I had guys stalking me for a distance before approaching me for my number at that age. One even simply stalked me, without any intention of approaching me, for quite some time until I shook him off. So I could understand why Coco didn't think much of it.

When I told my parents and siblings about the matter, they felt that a police report should be made as it would be 'outrage of modesty'. 

Grab called me this morning and advised me to make a police report so that they could launch an investigation.

However, Coco has refused to lodge a police report. 

She said that she doesn't want the guy to leave a criminal record with the police as he was very young.

I am still talking to her about the matter. Hopefully it would be resolved soon.

No comments: