Friday 15 December 2006

To learn or not to learn ...

I've been battling within myself if I should let Coco take up violin. It's one of the enrichment lessons offered in her school. My main considerations are:
  1. Do I really want her to learn violin? My ultimate aim is to let her learn piano. Will she have time to juggle with both should she pick up piano in the future, on top of her studies? Would she want to go back to ballet in time to come? I'd prefer her to concentrate on one, at most two, of these musical stuff instead of all.
  2. Does she really like violin? I'd seen the way she looked at the kids in her future ('near-future' rather) primary school playing the instrument. I'm not sure if that's longing in her eyes, or was it just curiosity?
  3. Violin lessons even as an enrichment is not cheap. It costs $210 - $240 per term (and there are 4 terms per year), and one violin would set me back by more than $300.
  4. She'd have to go to school on Saturdays from Primary 3 onward for violin lessons. It'll be quite a headache if we still don't have a car by then.
  5. If she doesn't join the group now, she'd have to join the other P1s next year, and it's subject to availability of vacancies.
  6. If she picks up violin now, I probably won't allow her to drop it in time to come. I've always believed learning music has to do with building up one's determination and perseverance. Giving it up halfway would be undesirable.

That's quite a lot of considerations. I can't really discuss this with William since he'll definitely say 'no'. I'll probably go ask what my sisters think and see if Coco has a genuine interest in learning violin. If she does, nothing can stop me. :-)

No comments: