Monday 30 April 2007

My nursey Coco

Last night, as I was reading Psalm 23 to Coco, she flipped the page and it cut my finger. I shook my finger vigorously to relieve the pain and was howling in pain. She ran to get me a plaster and came back to the bed. While she was peeling off the plaster, William looked at her and said,"I'm also in pain." Without a glance at him, Coco continued peeling the plaster and dismissed it with a nonchalant "Don't bluff." William and I laughed.

Coco brought home her first Chinese test paper in which she got 29.5 out of 30. The half mark was due to her carelessness in placing the pitch mark. She could have even copied from a hanyu pinyin listed in the paper but I guess she just overlooked it.
She had told me that she 'checked' her paper after completing it. I'm very impressed I must say. Most children do not know what it means to 'check your paper' even at Primary 3 and she already understood the meaning of checking her paper. I think she's really intelligent - compared to, and definitely more so than, her mummy.

I was, actually, it's 'am', starting to worry about whether she can get into GEP.
I'm quite sure she's fine with English. She's already reading books that are beyond P1 and can read words like 'astonishment'. So I've no worries about her English vocabulary.

I'm worried about her Maths though. She's not a Maths person and I think it's fairly clear even at this stage. Although she's not weak in it, but she doesn't exhibit the similar level of intelligence she has for English in Maths.

I really hope she can get into a GEP class because I want her to get into the Special stream at secondary level. Do I sound like I'm mad or obsessed with academic performance? She's only started her Primary One and I'm thinking about secondary education. Well, I think it's really important how one fares at the foundation level because it has an impact on one's future.

I'm also worried about the school actually. I've heard so much about how elite or top schools load children with homework, but it's quite the opposite for her school. There's extremely little homework! And I think the standard, say for the Chinese test, and the worksheets given to them in class, do not even match the standard of the assessment books I bought. How can I not worry? Even neighbourhood schools have tons of homework. And it's on a daily basis. But her school doesn't give homework frequently. At most one or two-page worksheets once or twice a week. I find that very strange!

I hope the school knows what it's doing. More than forty percent of their PSLE students go to Special Stream. It's just about the highest percentage among the top schools. Although they don't produce the top scholar for PSLE, they have at least ten students who get more than 260 every year without fail. So I'm really hoping that the school is on the right track. (Still worried)

No comments: