Saturday 18 February 2012

Dreaming of a new camera

A new Nikon camera, D800, is announced - at USD2, 999.

Yes, it tugs at my heartstring.

I have been contemplating jumping ship to Canon because of the horrible after-sales service (or the lack of it) from Nikon.

Nikon products are good no doubt. But the after-sales sucks. They find all sorts of excuse not to do anything to your lens when they are problematic, probably because they don't know how to fix them in the first place. Then when you insist, they want to calibrate your camera to fit the problematic lens!

From others, I have heard a few stories of how their cameras were giving them problems, and when Nikon finally caved in to agreeing to repair the cameras, they charged exorbitant prices to make you back off!

What after-sales is that?

Apart from the absence of after-sales support, Nikon cameras are heavier than Canon's.

And the colour rendition from Canon appears to be softer and that adds a whimsical feel to the pictures.

It's a tough decision because cameras and lens are not cheap.

Once I buy into a full-frame, it would be harder than ever to make the switch.

But the new D800 looks very good. Weight is still an issue for me though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

1. dslr colour is sometimes a software rather than a hardware issue. I use Canon and my preference is to use Capture One for Raw conversion because its skin tones are better than the free software. If you are using default nikon raw converter then try captureone (even if you jump ship to canon, you can still use captureone).

2. canon does have many useful portrait lenses.


T.

Rain said...

Hi T.,

Thanks for sharing about CaptureOne! I use Photoshop, albeit not at the advanced level. Skin tone adjustment is totally beyond me!

For some reason, most great photographers I know use Canon. You probably are one yourself.

I am adopting a wait-and-see stand on Canon's and Nikon's new cameras :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

C1 generates good skintones by default. That is the main reason why I use C1. When I try to tweak the settings in the free software, I still can't replicate C1's skintones. By the way I use the cheaper C1 Express.

-T.

Rain said...

Dear T.,

Thanks for sharing! The software/s would have to wait though since I'm on no-pay for now.