Thursday 11 January 2007

Oops!

Coco peed in her uniform in school yesterday. It was my fault. The moment she reached home, she rushed to the toilet to release the pent-up flood. I had urged her to 'finish up the water in the water-bottle' for the past few days as she often comes home with a 3-quarter or half-filled water-bottle. I was worried that she's not drinking enough water so I told her I wanted to see the water-bottle empty when she comes home every day. Actually I didn't think she would be so obedient as to literally finish up every drop of the water. I was just trying to make her 'be among the stars' by asking her to reach the moon.

Even when she felt urgent, she stayed on in the class as the teacher was teaching and she didn't want to miss any of the teaching. Poor girl! She's such an angel she got a more-than-grown-ups reason for every mistake she makes.

This incident sets me off thinking exactly how much water our children should drink. If it's 8 glasses per day, then they should drink a substantial amount of water in school since they spend quite a lot of time there. But it's not conducive for their studying nor a teacher's teaching if they often ask to go to the loo. I myself get irritated when children ask to go to the loo on a frequent basis, particularly if it's always the same children or when I'm teaching. And I have this rule of not being allowed to go toilet for the first period, the period just before and after recess, as well as the last period. I'm thinking of the school-bus children. If they don't get to go toilet at the last period, they probably have to suppress their bladder for another 45 mins to an hour after school before they reach home. Hmm ... I promise myself to be a more humane teacher when I start teaching again. I will probably let the schoolbus children go and relief themselves 10 mins before the bell goes off. It'll eat into the curriculum time, but they're really just kids.

No comments: