Sunday 7 January 2007

Coco's matters

Yesterday I went to the principal's talk with Ah Bi and Coco. It's a different principal, and clearly, this is a better, principled principal. The only thing she boasted of was about the history of the school, which started way back in 1917. The reason she mentioned about it was because she wanted to tell the parents about the school's background and why the school adopts certain beliefs, values and practices, like the rule of having short hair for girls, having Chinese traditions such as bowing to or greeting teachers and herself.

I'm a little worried that Coco might end up in the Chinese LSP. I do hope that she qualifies as the top minority in Chinese. It has never been a problem to me. It would be quite an insult if she's weak in her Chinese. When we got home, I tried to stuff her with 'San Zi Jing' ... ... :-P

She won a prize from her teacher for being one of the first five to get a row of names (horizontally) from her friends in a break-the-ice activity. She was so happy, but of course, the mother has to help assemble her prize into a little hamtaro's house. I'm so glad she's doing well in school.

She seems to be really happy in this school. I still remember how unhappy a little girl she was when she was just four. I'd sent her to the PCF nursery class below my mother's place, but apparently, she didn't have any friends. The other children were more proficient in their mother tongues. Even when I celebrated her birthday at the nursery to make her friends like her better, she had to eat her cake alone at a table in a corner. She became happier when she changed school to a nearby church kindergarten as the kids there spoke the same language ... er well, her English became quite singlish but I had no issue with that since it was for the sake of establishing solidarity with her classmates. She loves the kindy so much she still missed her friends before school started. When she got off the school bus on Friday, she said to me, elatedly, with sparkles in her eyes,"I have a lot of friends!!!", referring to the kids on her school bus. When I drew attention to the milo stain on her uniform,"Eeee ... you are so dirty ...", she said, happily,"They did not laugh at me." knowing that I was play-acting a teasing friend.

I've finally decided to enrol her in the Primary Ballet. I do want her to enjoy ballet instead of just knowing how to bend or dance. Apparently, she likes ballet, to my unknown. When I asked her if she would mind going to another class for ballet, she curled up in the sofa and replied meekly,"As long as I get to learn ballet."

No comments: