Monday 29 October 2007

The Best is yet to be

You wouldn't believe it. I'm thinking of getting a first-hand U1.
My family thinks I'm crazy.
It costs a whopping $8,600 after a discount.

What makes me start to think about getting an all-new piano is my frequent trips and getting educated on pianos. I'm starting to wonder, like with all other stuff, whether it's really worth it to get a second-hand U1.

I've decided that I would go for U1 after my last trip to a second-hand dealer, Music Clef, yesterday. The saleslady quoted me examples of children who do not wish to practise on the pianos because the pianos were bought based on the mothers' preference instead of the children's. It gave them bad vibes about the pianos. It reminded me of how I was like when I was a kid.

Her U1s cost $5k for a 7-year-old and $4.6k for a 12-year-old. As usual, I start to think if I should top up a few more thousands to get a brand new one. But I really didn't set aside so much for a piano. Even if I wait till year end to get my bonus, I still won't have this kinda money. And I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend so much on a piano. I could have saved up the difference from a used piano. Yet, should I buy a used piano at all? I've never believed in second-hand goods unless it's dirt cheap and I can afford to throw them away anytime I want. But $4.6k is not a small sum of money to me. Neither is $3.5k. I'm not sure how trustworthy an old piano is.

As far as Coco is concerned, I've always wanted to give her the best. Sometimes I scare myself at how far I am willing to go to give her the best.

One of the prime reasons I marry William is for her to go to his alma mater.
The only reason we married so 'hastily' was so that it would be in time for her Primary One registration.
And now, the piano.

Am I being obsessed over the 'best' to give her?

Of course, I'm also trying very hard to make my dollar worth. I have always wanted to try my hand at playing piano. I thought it would be a good investment if both of us could play - if I ever find the time to learn, that is. I find myself trying very hard to justify this would-be purchase: it's for myself too - it's always been my dream to learn piano, it's so that Coco can start on a good piano, the piano would have a good resale value anyway.

No comments: