Thursday 4 October 2007

Fever and Chicks

Coco has been running high temperatures these two days. The record high was 39.8. Within a span of two days, we used 3 suppositories on her - each suppository can only be used every 8 hours. The fever is suppressed for some hours before it goes up high again. I hate to use it on her because it's painful for her little backside, yet I had to. If not, the fever is way too high.

I needed to prepare my kids in school for their Maths Practical Test tomorrow, but I really don't want to feel that my own kid is second in place to those kids whose parents don't even bother to help, anymore. I called up the school telling them I'm taking childcare leave for the day.

It's one thing to be 'professional', and another to 'draw the line'. I'm a mother. And I want to do it well. I can't let teaching ruin my own kid's life.

She's so cute.

She saw me boiling some eggs. She took one from the fridge and went to the living room. After a while, she asked,"Can I hatch an egg?" I was amused. It reminded me of Thomas Edison who tried hatching an egg in the chicken coop. I resisted the temptation of educating her on how little chicks are hatched. Instead, I said,"Yes." and she asked if I could give her another egg. I said,"No." and she said,"Because you don't want too many chicks running around in the house." After that, she asked me for a towel. She shunned the first towel I gave her,"It's not pretty." When I asked why she needs a pretty towel for, she said it's so that the little chick can admire the pretty pictures on the towel even when it's in the egg.

Well, at least she understands that warmth is a required condition for chicks to hatch.

No comments: