Saturday 31 October 2009

To my sister

When I was young, I always wondered why I had her as my sister.

She was spoilt, bad-tempered and always calling me nasty names. She shouted and screamed at me when I asked her how to solve Maths problems.

I didn't understand what she was doing in my life until I was due to take my Maths paper for my O levels.

I was prepared to fail the paper the way I did the whole time I was in Sec 3 and 4.

That very morning, before I left for my paper, she happened to ask me,"How is your preparation?"

I shrugged and gave a non-commital reply which I can't recall.

She sat me down and spotted a few popular questions, and ran them thro with me.

She was a brilliant teacher for that day. I understood them immediately.

And went for my exam.

Most of the questions she spotted came out in the paper, and I could solve them.

I scraped through the paper with a pass.

That was when I realised why she was my sister.

Time and again, I'd imagine what would have happened to me if she had not been there.

One thing's for sure: I would not have an O level cert.

Then what? I would be working as a sales assistan in some tiny shops, selling clothes, or stationery, or shoes. I can't even work as an admin assistant or clerk. I wouldn't be able to become what I am today.

Thank you, my (elder and eldest) sister.

No comments: