Monday 2 November 2009

Parenting - a tall order

I recently chanced upon a very well-written blog, by a mother of two, which I shall not reveal here as linking her blog to mine might eventually be read by her many readers.

I'm very impressed with her articulate expression and precise use of vocabulary. Above all, she offers views that are well-balanced. Her parenting is so immaculate that I feel the need to learn from her. She offers constant reminders on how we as parents should give a lot of space to our kid - to grow, to develop, in their own ways, while at the same time provide proper guidance and good modelling to them. It's a tall order, but she seems to have done it really well.

I've learnt that:
1) If I tell my kid "Do your best and that'll suffice", I should really mean it.
I am guilty of saying this and when Coco comes home with marks below 90, I conclude that she hadn't done her best.

2) I need to create a timetable for Coco during the holidays, using construction paper and have it drawn up using pencils and ruler, not computer tools.
It prepares kids better when they know they have certain work to do, and not have a last minute test paper sprung on them.

At the risk of sounding juvenile, I still want to say this: I hope I can be like her.

No comments: