Thursday 19 November 2009

Once bitten

Yesterday, I was pretty upset over a parent's feedback on a survey form.

I had been getting a girl who failed her CA2 English to stay back every Mon, Wed and Fri to get her to read to me, and I always asked her to read a book or two in English before she came to me so that she could relate the story to me. Eventually, I got her to write book reviews, and include her opinion and feelings about the book by elaborating the parts that interest her. I also edited the reviews to model the language and correct her English.

My intention was so that she would be inculcated with an interest in reading English storybooks.

However, on the survey form, the father indicated 'Strongly Disagree' on 'The teacher is approachable and (blah blah blah)', and wrote his comments as 'The remedial lessons conducted were too late for SA2'.

What I was doing wasn't even a remedial lesson for the child. Technically speaking, the child is not eligible for English remedial class, which was conducted by two other teachers, because there are much worse cases than her.

I felt hurt and injustified that my good intention and goodwill was not appreciated.

I was forking out my time and effort to get the girl to read English books in the hope that this habit will continue even after she's no longer under me, yet the parent bites the hand that feeds him. If that's not ungratefulness, I don't know what is.

I'd informed the mother that I was worried about the girl and I would do this to help her, yet it wasn't communicated to the father who penned the survey.

I have no wish to go clarify the issue with the father as I might get agitated and say things that I shouldn't. And I'm just not one of those people who say "I don't have to do this, you know, but I'm doing this because I care for your child." I find it too wayang, although it's exactly because I care that I did what I did.

When teachers' efforts meet with ingratitude, guess what they will do next time when they encounter similar situations? Teachers are just human beings, not saints. We try to be, but I for one am not.

I'll try to ignore children who need help next time, so that I don't get bitten again.

Furthermore, English is a subject that does not improve by leaps and bounce within a short span of time. Many people don't seem to realise that. They think that English, like Maths and Science, has instant antidote.

What teachers do for English is to do the construction work, building, building and building. The skyscraper may not look promising now, but when the time comes, the whole building will come into its own.

No comments: