Tuesday 8 December 2009

Photoshop CS4 - Vignette

I hadn't got around playing with Photoshop CS4 although I've had it with me for weeks!

I got it installed just a couple of days ago and decided to see if it was easy to 'play around with'. To my dismay, and technological shock, I found it incredibly difficult to get anything done. The information on 'Help' was too much and too hard for me to digest and I didn't know what I really want to achieve except that I wanted to be decent in the ability to use Photoshop.

Today, I was on Clubsnap forum and saw a picture that has the blackening effect on the edges of the photo. I had wanted that effect on my pics long ago but didn't know how to do it. The thread starter who shared his pics told me that it was an 'inherent characteristic' of Holga cameras. I wikipediaed it and found the word 'vignette'.

I googled 'Vignetting an image using Photoshop CS4' and it led me to a youtube video. I tried following it but I kept getting a 'hand tool' icon instead of having the different tools working for me. In my frustration, I googled for the reason for the appearance of the icon. Surprisingly, many people get it at one point or another. Some swore by the method of 'Edit>Preferences>General>Reset all warning dialogs'. Although it worked the first time, it didn't work for the subsequent times. Another person shared that he hit spacebar and it was resolved. I thought it was too good to be true, but I tried it anyway, and it worked for me!

Then I tried to upload a picture in Photoshop file that I've vignetted but wasn't successful. I googled again for 'Converting Photoshop file into JPG' and I found the solution:

1) Save the picture as Photoshop file
2) Reopen the file
3) Save the picture as Jpeg or JPG

The original copy of Photoshop file seemed like a must to keep for the moment. So I'll just keep it first.

Baby at 13th month

I learnt 4 things today:

1) Holga cameras
2) Vignetting an image (albeit a rudimentary attempt)
3) Resolving the 'hand tool' icon issue
4) Converting a Photoshop (PSD) file into Jpeg or JPG file

Wow! A great achievement for a technophobic!

No comments: