Sunday 27 February 2011

Bangkok?

I am going to the NATAS fair today! I am hoping to go Bangkok in the March holiday.

I have never imagined myself going Bangkok or Thailand for that matter because I don't want to 'waste money' on another Asian country. My first-ever overseas trip was to Bali and I thought it totally overhyped. It felt alot like the rural parts of Malaysia with the addition of a volcano and terraced rice fields.

But I really hope to get away for a short while in March holiday. With my job, I'm cooped up at home for 3 full months each time, if not half a year. I didn't feel so suffocated when I wasn't in this line then. But now, I actually feel stifled and uncomfortable if I don't have anywhere ELSE to go during the hols.

I've said it before, that I don't fancy travelling. But I guess the Hong Kong trip changed my perspective quite a bit. Oh Hong Kong ... the beautiful ... food!!!

I have heard so much about the Chatuchak Night Market, and recently, I read on a blog how CHEAP (stirred up the cheapo in me!) and GOOD the food is and how GENEROUS (the cheapo in me at work again!) the portion is. That particular blogger even had glorious pictures of shark's fin soup staring right at you from the computer screen. I am a sucker for shark's fin soup. Yes I know I am cruel and horrible, a shark-killer, that they die a slow and painful death after having their dorsal fins cut off mercilessly and got thrown into the deep sea, but I don't eat it that often you know.

I want to see if there is anything I can buy as photography props. If I remember correctly, a child photographer told me he bought his gigantic bear from Thailand (or was it Korea?). Friends and family told me the things there are dirt CHEAP (my love). What reason is there to miss out on a place like that? I haven't been to Thailand anyway, so I thought a 3-day trip should do fine for a short getaway, although I had hoped it could be a 4-day so that I could do a little sightseeing and immersing of the local culture. I do want to get a feel of the local culture and flavour when I go somewhere, especially when the culture is something foreign to me.

I was having problems finding someone to go with me. I was even contemplating going there alone, but I know I will have problems sleeping at night. It's embarrassing, but even at my age, I still maintain an extremely fertile imagination of ghostly formations.

It's a last-minute decision to go - even now, I am not sure if I am going for sure. It'll have to depend on the deal at NATAS in comparison to the deals I have sourced on the net. So far, the airfares on budget airlines alone cost $350 and up. I thought an air ticket to Bangkok ought to be cheaper than that.

I hope I don't spend more than a thousand dollars on the trip. Let's hope it will even materialise and when it does, it'll be a fruitful trip. Amen!

No comments: