Tuesday 1 February 2011

Let it rain

I love rainy days.

Actually, I have never hated any weather. I don't know how people can hate a natural phenomenon. Whether it's sunny, rainy, windy, cloudy, or scorching hot, I love them all. I take them as they come and never curse the weather for being rainy or too sunny. I see weather as a natural necessity in the ecology. Perhaps it's one of the least manipulated things in this world that makes it all the merrier.

I just hope that the rain doesn't get so heavy when I need to tread on the road.

I do hate to be splashed on by wicked-hearted drivers though.

I have never thought rainy days as being 'gloomy', or asked them to 'go away'. I read quite a few of the 'gloomy' response to the recent weather on facebook and it comes as a surprise to me so many people don't like rain.

Incidentally, I call myself 'Rain' on my blog, simply because I love rain.

I guess it's something like dim sum. I love dim sum and I can never have too much of it. I don't grow sick of it ever. I could have dim sum for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I'd thought everybody was like me, until my sisters whined,"Dim sum again?!! You're crazy!"

Rain has a hint of melancholy in it. Perhaps that's why people call it 'gloomy'. I used to like being a melancholic for my temperament, but as I age, I thought being phlegmatic is probably better - even-tempered and peace-loving. And I had quite a few phlegmatic friends who are really nice, consistent and loyal people.

I like the smell of rain, and the after-rain smell. The smell of rain is an impending freshness, somewhat ominous, a little mysterious, yet there's so much charm in the imminent phenomenon. The after-rain smell is fresh, refreshing, signifying new hope.

Haha ... pardon me for being ridiculous. I am trying to put how I feel about the smell into words. I guess there can never be the right description for it.

I just love rain. But like many sane others, I do hope that it will stop in time for the grand First Day of Chinese New Year.

No comments: