Sunday 6 November 2011

My Dream TV

Ever since I bought a new creamy-beige sofa, and ditched the old, used, dark sofa, I have been contemplating buying a new TV.

As shocking as it sounds, I am still using an old, Toshiba CRT. I call it a 'dinosaur TV'. We got it when we first got married and were too broke to afford an LCD or Plasma when they were all the rage then. Even then, it cost us more than $800 which by now would be the cost of a 42-inch Smart TV. A quick reminiscence of the past recalls how pricey LCD and Plasma TVs cost: $2000 to $5000 and up.

A quick googling on the Net or a flip through the papers would show that the prices of TVs have plummeted. Now they go by hundreds for the 42-inch, $2000 plus for the 46-inch, and $3000 to $5000 for the 55-inch.

My viewing distance, meaning the distance between where I sit on my sofa and the TV, is about 10 feet or 3m. As it is, I do find the CRT I have rather small. 

I am eyeing two 55-inch TVs:
 Sony 55' NX720

Samsung 55' D8000

Prices between the two are comparable. Samsung was above $5000 a few months ago while Sony stagnates at $4799 to $4999 for the same time period.

It's a lot of money to spend on a TV for me.

I lust after the Smart functions. I could imagine myself showing my mother the pictures I have posted on Facebook via the TV.

I can do without the 3D though. No matter how 3D the images are, I don't see the need for it. Firstly, 3D gives me headaches after watching it for prolonged hours. Secondly, it would only be a novelty soon passed.

But unfortunately, most Smart TVs come with 3D.

I am primarily more concerned about the image quality. I read that Sony has better, smoother pictures - a no-brainer, but D8000 is the top-of-the-range model in Samsung, and it enjoys 800Hz compared to 200Hz of Sony.

Isn't it strange that a 200Hz TV outshines its higher-Hz counterpart where it matters most? A Harvey Norman salesman told me that when we watch SD (Standard Definition) Channels eg. Channel 5, 8 and U, the TV would only go up to a certain Hz and not beyond as it is limited by the Channels themselves. He did mention that we could buy something else to go with the TV to enjoy the full number of Hz the TV has to offer. I assume that would break another few hundreds in my pocket so I didn't enquire further.

I like Sony also because of the cool feature of presence sensor ie. the screen would black out with its sound intact, thus saving energy, when you leave the TV alone for a few consecutive minutes and resume itself immediately the moment you return. I thought that very, very cool.

I also like the matte screen versus Samsung's glossy screen.

A Gain City salesman has told me that Sony uses glossy screen for its higher-end models like NX925 and up, so glossy screen is apparently something better - for brighter and clearer images.

Although I enjoy vibrant colours on 2D, I prefer muted or natural colours on moving pictures so that it is not too stressful or tiring for the eyes.

So in sum, Sony versus Samsung:

Sony's plus points:

1. Better, smoother picture quality
What I read on the Net, but not verifiable as these two TVs are never placed side-by-side and I NEVER get to see how real TV SD Channels are like on them. But I do trust the review that Sony has smoother images.

2. Matte screen
I like glossy laminates for a cabinets, but not glossy TV screen. I worry that there would be reflection in the TV that interferes with my TV-watching. I can imagine how irritated I would be. It's like hearing echoes of your own voice when speaking with others on a phone - like what I experience on iPhone.

3. Natural colours

4. Face detection and motion sensor for user's presence

5. Comes with a buching stand which acts as a sound bar and tilts the TV at 6 degrees for comfortable viewing.

Samsung:

1. Its incredibly thin bezel (frame).
Although I don't fancy the acrylic-like material, the thinness of it does look very appealing and attractive

2. The supposedly better and more Smart functions than NX720.
How better and more, I really don't know. But that was what the salesmen said.

3. A more popular consumer choice even when it was more expensive.

4. It IS a higher-end model than NX720. It is often compared to NX925, a higher-end model for Sony.

However, I have read that Samsung TVs spoil fairly easily. Conked out on its own actually. If it spoils within the first 3 years of warranty, you are fine and you get a replacement or refund. But many users have complained that their Samsungs died right after the 3-year warranty. It's as if there is a timer set within the TVs to spoil at a particular time. Paying for another 2 years of warranty would mean another few hundred bucks.

It's a tough fight between the two.

But overall, I am waiting for the price to drop. Spending over $4k on a TV sounds and seems sinful to me. In fact, I hope to get it at maximum $3k. If not, I keep thinking of how this $4k can be better spent on renovating my study, my toilet, getting an in-built shoe cabinet ... yeah, I know. I am dreaming. In any case, my CRT is probably going to last me another decade, so I will continue to dream till the day the prices of these TVs drop.

No comments: