Saturday 15 June 2019

Our Favourite Haunt at Tea Lounge of Regent Hotel

I was reading through my Afternoon Tea posts when I realised that my last post before my recent comeback was lightyears away!

There were quite a few that I did not blog about, probably because I was distracted by other less important things in life.

My last Afternoon Tea musing jolted my memory of a funny incident in March this year when I went for a tea with the girls at Regent Hotel.

Although I have credit cards, I try not to use them as I am forgetful and tend to procrastinate on paying credit card bills. By the time I remember again, they are often overdue. It's a hassle to ask for late payment waiver and sometimes I don't manage to get it (Thank you very much, OCBC!).

So I often use NETS and carry minimal cash on me.

Yes, I do know about the credit card point systems but I am just not a point person. Rarely redeem points before they expire too!

So, merrily we went for a nice and cosy afternoon tea which we were all happy with one afternoon, on the outskirt of Orchard Road.
I have always thought that Regent serves one of the most decent afternoon teas. Most items are for eating, not for viewing pleasure only, like most afternoon teas.

Its scones are one of the best too, in our opinion.

The ambience is classy and cosy. Lovely and comfortable place.

And I often reserve a table on the day itself. Apparently, Regent is not a popular choice for afternoon tea with most people.

When it came to time to pay, I whipped out my ATM card but the staff said,"I am sorry but we only accept cash or credit cards."

It was an awkward moment there. I only had $50 on me. The nearest ATM machine was in another building away from Regent Hotel.

I was contemplating going out to withdraw cash when the little one asked,"How much?"

It was $130+. 

She replied,"I have!"

I looked at her in disbelief and said,"A hundred dollars?"

She said again, affirmatively,"I have!" and proceeded to take out her wallet.

And she gave me two fifty-dollar notes, much to the chagrin of the staff and me!

I knew that she carried some cash on her but she never told me that she had that much on her!

So we settled the bill, by the grace of the little one.

Before we left, another staff who obviously had been informed of the matter, greeted the little one goodbye,"Bye, Boss!"

The little one felt very proud to have saved the day indeed!

No comments: