Monday 6 December 2021

May Justice Be Served

I often would suddenly recall something that happened some time before and would start googling for it.

I was watching a video online which reminded me of a Korean actress who passed away in 2009 - Jang Ja Yeon.

In 2009, I was embroiled in my own suffering marriage and buried in work so I didn’t pay much attention to it. All I remembered was an actress committed suicide as she was pimped to many rich men.

I googled for her news, mainly in Chinese, and read in details the injustices she had suffered. Orphaned at 16, and had only an elder brother as her family, she was only 29 when she hanged herself, but she was forced to sleep with more than 31 men more than 100 times within a few short years. She was violently abused in all ways possible.

She had tried resisting which met with violence and ordered to compensate an astronomical amount of money if she wanted to walk away a free woman. She reported to the police in vain as those who violated her were rich and powerful. Even the president was not spared when he tried to uphold justice for her.

Towards the end of her life, she received death threats. Pushed to the limit of limits, she killed herself before her violators could.

After her death, justice was not served as prosecutors and judges were bribed. Witnesses were silenced, forced to leave the country. 

The amount of injustices she had to suffer. It bothers me to this moment. Why is the world such a cruel, unjust place, such that the wicked thrive in it while the kind and honest suffer at their hands?   

Today, Facebook feed popped “76-year-old Aung San Suu Kyi is sentenced to four years’ jail.”

I don’t know a thing about Burmese politics. All I know is that Aung San Suu Kyi spends all her life fighting for her countrymen. And this is what she comes to. 

I looked at the picture of the thin and weathered face and wondered where Justice is. 

Is there no justice in this world?

I have been contemplating about my divorce and how he has robbed me of so many things: money, time and my kids.

Yet, there’s no justice.

In the face of what those two women had suffered, mine is nothing. Yet, I feel such a great sense of injustice. 

I know that “vengeance belongs to the Lord” but I can’t help but wonder how God would take vengeance on these evils? 

These people will go to Hell, no doubt. Is that the vengeance He’s taking about? Then how about now? Don’t they deserve some punishment too? I never thought that someone is genuinely wicked until I saw how ugly William was at divorce. Even at that point, he was still trying to rip every cent he could off me. 

May God not only bless the kind, but also gives well-deserved punishments to the wicked.

No comments: