Saturday 4 December 2021

Revisiting Bukit Timah Hill

I have always wanted to go Bukit Timah Hill again.

I have been there once with Coco and her cousin and another time with my NIE coursemates for a learning journey.

I wanted Baby to experience what a hill was. I know Singapore’s hill is just a mound compared to other countries’ but I would like her to experience a humble hill and have a walk in a nature reserve.

So I asked her favourite cousin along, also my fifth sister’s son, but the third one.

We took a cab down as I didn’t want to tire them out before the climb. 

I was worried that it might be too hot for a climb at 3pm but the shady hill was a pleasant climb even at one of the hottest hours in the day.

They were sure that the Red and Blue routes were too easy for them so they voted for the Intermediate (Green) route unanimously.

The foot of the hill. We walked for a short distance before we spotted a stick marked by green paint, which indicated that we ought to turn to the Green route.

Our first fascination with the man-made steps at Bukit Timah Hill
After taking in all the trees and shrubs in their natural beauty, we were 'surprised' to see a 'man-made waterfall' in the woods
Baby was visibly relieved when she saw the first resting stop, a tiny hut with wooden seats
After quenching our thirst and resting our legs, we journeyed on
It was another some minutes of walk-and-climb until we reached the second hut which was 800m away from the peak
After emerging from the Green route, we came to a cross road where we had to decide if we wanted to climb a flight of stairs which was 150m away from the peak, or take the gentler slope which was 500m to the same destination.
Of course, our two brave souls chose the route few would venture
I was almost out of breath by the time I reached the top

I wondered aloud to the kids,"I distinctively remember there was a huge rock which people would take a picture with to tell people that they were at the peak."

The cruel nephew replied,"Er Yi (Second Aunt), that's 20 years ago."

I later found out from a friend that the Summit Rock is located at the end of the Blue route.

I was very excited to see the steep slope down the hill. I knew it would be the highlight for the kids. 

I read on the internet that the slope is inclined at 40 degrees but for some reason, our handphones just could not capture the steepness of the slope. 

They saw people walking backward so they wanted to try too. However, they gave up after a few steps.

"How can people walk backward without falling down?"

My nephew and I complained of painful toes as we strolled down. The inclined slope compelled our feet to hit against the front part of our shoes with each step. I made a mental note that I would bring a pair of sandals if I ever come here again.

We visited the Visitor Centre for the second time for new bottles of mineral water and a packet of potato chips before we ventured into the Hindhede Nature Park, which was a small park near the entrance of the Hill. I never knew that there was a quarry so I insisted on visiting it. 

We walked along the boardwalk and passed through a rugged play area that seemed more suitable for older children.

Then we came to the viewing point, a small area where a few visitors at a time would be standing to take in the tranquil and relatively unspoiled view. It's the kind of peace which viewers would quieten down as a sign of respect for the environment.

We left just as a few visitors came in to wait for the sunset at 7pm. We didn't think there was a need to do the same as the view we saw was beautiful enough for us.
Before we left, I decided that having a picture with the rock at the entrance is better than having no picture at all.
We walked out to the main road hoping to get a cab and we got to see some cute monkeys and a squirrel
Bukit Timah Hill is very manageable for a short walk. 30 minutes is all it takes for a leisurely walk to go up the summit. Not sure how viable it is for older people but I would probably choose the blue or red route if I come here with my elderly mother.

Nearest MRT station:
Beauty World MRT

No comments: