Saturday 25 September 2010

Buy buy buy

I have been reading up on strobe lights.

Ever since the workshop guy said that only 600w strobes can fill the entire 4 x 3ft softbox, I have been looking at the different brands that offer 600w lights.

I have 'narrowed' them down to 3: Jinbei, Elinchrome and Profoto.

Jinbei is a China make. But according to the workshop guy, the 600 series is top-of-the-range product and a good imitation of Profoto.

I was advised not to get Elinchrome D-Lite as it is made in India.

Profoto is a tad too pricey I thought. I am not sure if I want to plonk so much money on something that I am not so sure about, especially when I have not even mastered my camera or learnt how my flash works.

I find that once you start buying a DSLR, all of a sudden, your visual world starts to widen as well. You start to be critical of your pictures: want more sharpness, more light, better colours, faster shutter speed, nicer bokeh ... the list goes on. And it doesn't seem to have an end from where it starts.

I am also starting to think about more lens ie. 50mm and 24-70mm.

And a short-range lens like 24-70mm proves to be much more expensive than I thought! $2500 for a lens? That's even more expensive than my camera together with all its freebies and warranty and extended warranty!

Goodness! Now I understand what they mean by 'Buy buy buy' virus once you get into it. For a scrooge like me, spending hundreds on flash, lens and potential thousands on studio lighting equipment? Unthinkable!

No comments: