Sunday 20 March 2011

Day 3: Shangarila Restaurant, Central World and Pratunam Shopping Belt

It was Day 3.
The cute little one was still in bed
My itinerary and travelling information

We lazed around for a while and took a cab to Shangarila Restaurant near Chong Nonsi BTS Station

I wanted to try its famous Peking Duck
We got worried when we saw the 'Medium' sized duck (900 baht)

The delectable skin
Er ... we have to do it ourselves ... ?
"People do it in Singapore for us," remarked William.
Here it goes ...

"Well ... it's not extraordinary ... I've tasted better ones in Singapore ..."
The remaining duck meat was deep fried it seemed, because we asked for 'no spicy'
The interior
The structure. Very Chinese style

Review on Shangarila Restaurant
:

The Peking Duck was average (yeah, I know. 'Average', 'passable', 'okay'. But it is really how I feel about food in Bangkok).

If you ask me, I would not go back there for the duck again.

The restaurant is also well-known for its lunchtime dim sum. However, we could not finish our duck as it was, so dim sum was out of the question.

I took a look at the dim sum menu. Some of the items were really cute. They made them in the form of fish and other creatures, but out of the twenty-odd items in the menu, about 16 consist of shrimps or prawns.

The taxi-driver did not know the place, but he made the effort to call the restaurant to find out about the directions when he reached Chong Nonsi BTS Station. I really appreciate that. I was glad I put the phone number down. You really never know when you will need it!

Address:
Shangarila Restaurant
154/4-7 Silom Rd
Bang Rak, Bangkok
Phone: 02 234-9147

Nearest BTS: Chong Nonsi
Hours: Daily 11am – 10pm
Opening Hours: Sat – Sun from 10.00 am. – 02.00 pm. and 05.00 pm. – 10.00 pm
"I want to try"
We walked to Chong Nonsi BTS Station because I wanted to check another famous seafood place nearby, Lek Seafood.
We climbed up such a long flight of steps.

I got down from the opposite side of the BTS Station and found Lek Seafood just below it, beside Shangrila Suite, a hotel with a restaurant, also with Peking Duck as its signature dish!

A pity Lek Seafood was not opened. If it were, I would have tried its prawn and oysters, for all the fame they are worth, although reviews have it that the standard has been declining. Too much hype it seems.

Address:
Lek Seafood
156 Soi Phiphat, Narathiwat Ratchanakharin Road, Silom, Bangkok
Nearest BTS: Chong Nonsi (just beside/below the BTS)
Opening Hours: Daily from 05.00 pm. – 11.00 pm

We took a train to Siam Station because many people alighted at the station to go to Central World.
I realised that everywhere I looked, cars were everywhere
Central World
Linkway from BTS to Central World
We were seduced by the delicious-looking ice-cream
Where we rested our feet at

I only remember the flavours being very sour: mango, chocolate, and don't know what
Baby looking jubilant and spontaneous
"Very sour!"
We did some unsuccessful shopping at Central World, went into its Isetan and were both shocked to exit from Isetan to find ourselves standing just opposite Big C. We were back at Pratunam area!
Street food in Pratunam area
I told William we ought to visit the Pratunam Wholesale Market. It'd be such a shame if anyone asked how the Pratunam Market was like and we said we didn't know although we stayed in the area.
"My oh my ... so this is how it looks like ... erm ... forget it, let's go ..."

Tuk-tuk

Tuk-tuks are known to 'chop' tourists. They do not go by meter, but charge tourists a price. They usually start at 200 baht if the ride would cost 80 to 90 baht by meter. I thought it would be great to have a taste of how it was like to ride in one, but I did not feel comfortable getting 'chopped' as tourists.

I read many unfavourable reviews about tuk-tuks. One went as far as to say not to take a tuk-tuk even if they pay you to ride in one. Another said she got such a fright riding in one because the driver was reckless. Before she could calm herself down, she reached her destination.

It did look precarious - like a motorbike on the road. I had a baby with me so that was a minus to begin with.

No comments: