Friday 18 March 2011

Day 1: Platinum Mall & Lao Li (海外天)

We went to the famous and much-talked-about Platinum Mall right after we refreshed ourselves at the hotel.

I was excited and all ready to do a full-fledged shopping spree at this mall. I had read that it was a mall 'that will make your girlfriend very happy' and you would buy A LOT OF clothes and accessories there.


A 'sawadikup' Mc Donald

Bangkok is hot. Not just Chatchuchak. It was hot everywhere, except the malls and your own hotel room. The physical atmosphere is just that: roasting warm.
So the first thing we wanted to get was a nice coke.
I like their interesting English - very THE straightforward, don't you think?

I didn't understand what 'American Ketchup' meant. Do they have Thailand Ketchup too?

Their coke is cheap. Not even S$2 for such a gigantic size.
The taste is not as good, but will do for thirst-quenching.

Most malls have the 'No photo' signs on their automatic entrance doors. But I could not resist taking this one.

Baby had a fun time at Isetan

Opposite Isetan Centerpoint

We took a cab down to Yaowarat for Lao Li.

It's called "Lao Li" in English because the pioneer's surname was 'Li'. It's now taken over by his son 'Xiao Li'.

We had a hard time finding Lao Li. The address given on the internet coincided with a Chinese Medical Hall. Outside the Medical Hall, there were several street hawkers selling shark's fin soup as well! For a moment, William insisted that the oldest hawker there must be Lao Li. Fortunately, I asked a staff from the Medical Hall and he directed me to the opposite side and we saw the restaurant. It struck me that someone on the internet had posted a picture of the restaurant and it bore the same name as this one. I immediately told William it was probably the Chinese name of the restaurant, and it turned out to be correct! The name 'Lao Li' is right below a sign outside the restaurant. Very inconspicuous!
The service was great. The staff were attentive and put in their best to meet our needs that came with the inconvenience of having a tod at meal.

Playing with her new toy
Raw beansprouts to be poured into the shark's fin soup later
Their glass-bottle coke. Very nolstalgic.

Shark's fin soup. Plenty for the money but taste was mediocre.

Sea cucumber. It's the hard type. I prefer the soft, jelly-like type.

Goose webs. Not as great as they were raved. Ordinary we thought.

Crab with glass noodles (dong fen). It was just okay. Not fantastic.
Bird's nest soup. We had the cheapest grade because I wanted to know how good it was for the money it was worth. My mother's self-cooked $200/liang's bird's nest taste more superior definitely.

The cabinet display

Almost every restaurant uses the same kind of tissue box. I dig it though. We should have something like that in our restaurants!

The set-up
Review on Platinum Mall:

I bought nothing from the mall. Absolutely nothing. I tried - we went to every level (about 5 or 6 levels in all) and all zones (3 zones) - but could not get anything.

The clothes were cheap. True. But the quality was also poor. The material was very thin. I found one that I was keen on, finally, but alas, it cost more than a hundred dollars! So much for being 'cheap' and 'selling at wholesale prices' (if you buy 2 or 3 pieces of different designs)!

The mall does sell other things like shoes, bags and accessories but nothing caught my fancy. I love shoes with diamante but their designs look more for Thai or Malay weddings.

Address:
Phetchaburi Road, Pratunam
Most shopping malls open from 10am to 10pm.


Review on Lao Li:

Well, for the money that it's worth (1790 baht / S$75) , the meal was passable. I would not go as far as to say that the food was great. Cheap - yes. But taste was mediocre.

Details:
Opening Hours: 14:00 – 24:00
Address: Lao Li Shark Fin, 457-461, Yaowarat Rd
Tel: +66 (0) 2 223 7341

No comments: