Thursday 19 January 2012

Outraged

I have been feeling uneasy about the need to stay till May before I can apply for no-pay leave from July onwards.

I was dropped with a bigger bomb yesterday: I have to set Science paper for P6 CA1 within one week, and Science practical test for P5 and SA2 for P5 Science during my no-pay leave!

Any teacher would know that Science paper is the most difficult paper to set. The questions alone are brain-wrecking (no mistake on that word. Yes. It's 'wrecking'). And what makes it even more dreadful by a hundred times is the need to look for pictures and diagrams to suit the questions. I have resorted to look for diagrams before coming up with questions. The pain is reduced by half when you do that. But still, it's the most painful paper a teacher can set.

Now, I'm teaching P4 Science, P5 Science and P6 Foundation Science. I have no business with P6 mainstream Science. Just because I've a daughter sitting for P6 mainstream Science at PSLE does not mean it's easier for me. In fact, I've to do double work because I'd need to read through the text and understand the concepts the students are supposed to understand and know how the students can demonstrate their understanding before I can set the paper.

I'm even more upset to know that I am expected to do work during my no-pay leave. If I'm on a paid leave, like maternity leave, childcare leave, yes, I can understand, even though I may curse and swear that the so-called leave is a 'work at home' leave. It's paid after all. But now I'm NOT paid. And I still have to work at the expense of my daughters!

I'm absolutely upset. I've decided to appeal for a transfer, and I've asked William to go to the MP to ask for a transfer on my behalf. I don't care if the MP agrees with my political inkling or ideology (not that I have any). I just want to get out of this f-up place!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, Hi,

me again, I posted in your "SAM Media" post, anyway, i'm in singapore too.

i just read your latest post so I'm not sure which school you are teaching.

I hope you all will be well for you. Take care.
fan.focus@gmail[dot]com

Anonymous said...

Hi,

There could be a misunderstanding about not being paid? Is the school really not paying you to set the papers during your no-pay?

If you are on no-pay and asked to do work, isn't there a standard hourly rate ?)

T.

Rain said...

Hi fan,

Thanks for your well wishes!

Rain said...

Hi T.,

As it turned out, you are quite right that there was a misunderstanding. I saw the schedule wrongly and instead of an SA2 paper, it was an SA1 paper. So I'll be able to clear the paper-setting before I go on my leave.

I guess the misunderstanding came about because I had spoken to my HOD about the paper-setting and had asked him if: 1) I could be exempted from setting the full set of papers ie. 2 papers plus reviewing a practical test paper since I won't be around for the whole year like a full-time staff would; 2) I could set other papers apart from Science; 3) I could set a P3 Science paper if worse comes to worse.

He said he would look into it and eventually, my above requests were all not acceded to. So I'd thought my request for not having to set an SA2 paper which would eat into my no-pay leave would also be ignored.

I'm not sure if you are from Singapore, but we don't get paid to do work when on no-pay leave although most of the time, employers don't ask employees to do work during no-pay. Furthermore, I am not paid by the school. My pay comes from the ministry.

Thanks, T.!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have heard of cases where Singapore teachers on NPL are asked to do work for the school because the school is shorthanded and they are paid hourly/daily rate.

Best wishes

T.

p.s. In case you are wondering, I have not confused NPL with flexi-adjunct...

Rain said...

T.,

That's the first time I ever heard someone being paid on no-pay! I'd imagine it would be difficult to measure the amount of work and hours required for the work done.
It would be nice to know which schools those are. In any case, most people who go on no-pay don't return to the same workplace as they are likely to be posted elsewhere subsequently.