Tuesday 10 March 2009

Huge Debts

I'm done with William's debts. He has just been sent another lawyer's letter urging him to make a payment of more than $6k to a bank and he's still nonchalant about it.

I'm turning my attention to my elder sister.

She has run into a heap of financial troubles. I don't know what exactly happened but it seems to me that it has something to do with her recent acquiantance of a supposedly-rich Indonesian tai tai. Heard from my father that she screamed at my mother,"Don't talk to me unless you have $100, 000!" And my younger sister told me that she saw on my elder sister's laptop a tabulation of more than $160, 000. Oh my goodness, how is she going to repay that big a debt? It will take me 16 years to save up this amount, provided I live frugally. I wish I can help, but who can?

She has looked so good for as long as she was a property agent. And she kept saying that this Indonesian lady is very rich. It seems that she's totally blinded. She always scolds us for being stupid when we are cheated. Who would expect her to be cheated big time? How could she not see it coming? Banks are sending her lawyers' letters. I'm so worried for her.

But when I call home and if she's the one picking up the phone, she continues to sound chirpy. I don't know how to start asking her about the problem. I don't know if I should just sms her "Has it occurred to you that R (the Indonesian tai tai) is a swindler?" But I'm quite sure she would rebut me with "You're crazy!" As it is, she refuses to talk to anyone in the house about her financial matters. She seems to be in a state of denial - which appears to be very common to people in huge debts. Look at William.

Within a short span of 6 months after getting acquianted to the Indonesian woman, she's in a huge debt of close to $200, 000. My sister has a First Class Honours Engineering Degree. She strived so hard, went overseas on her own, survived the loneliness to get that degree. She prided herself on enjoying good credit with the banks. How did the woman get my sister to make all those payments for her? How did my sister come to believe the woman without seeing all the big money she claims to have or has invested? It's really quite spooky.

If my sister needs help, I would definitely help out, although I don't have much to chip in.

No comments: