Saturday 15 August 2009

The Finale

I've finally consented to Coco's request of withdrawing from ballet class.

I thought it a pity that she's giving it up as she's been learning ballet since 4 years old.

We were having our breakfast at Mc Donald's and would set off for the ballet class after that. Coco begged me again,"I don't want to go for ballet ..."
I asked her for the reasons she doesn't want to go, and we listed down the reasons:

1) so that she can go for short Malaysia trips with my parents over weekends;
2) so that she can go for her friends' birthday parties if they fall on Saturdays;
3) she doesn't like being picked on during ballet class.

I asked her for the reasons she doesn't want to give up ballet as she said that she's in a dilemma 'cos half of her want to give up ballet and half of her doesn't want to:

1) so that she can keep long hair.

I did a quick reflection on myself when she went to do her business at the toilet.

I got her to do ballet at 4 'cos I wanted her to be exposed to ballet, be aware of such an avenue and be given a choice on whether she wants to dance.

In the first place, she wasn't enthusiastic about ballet. I wanted her to do it so that it may open more doors for her in different areas ie. when she grows up, she may want to do a dance course and ballet would build a good foundation for her footworks; If she ever wants to be an actress (since her idols are Felicia Chin and Jeanette Aw), being able to dance ballet would be an edge over others who doesn't do ballet or any form of dance; It's good for building her posture and poise; She wouldn't be a culture country bumpkin when others make cultural talks especially when they're on the topic of dance.

But alas! What I want for her may not be what she wants. Perhaps the teacher is a tad too strict for her, although this is the kind of teacher that I want for my kid. On the other hand, I would not like to be picked on all the time when I go for any class and be looked down upon by my peers.

I finally agreed.

She was happy for a while. Then she asked,"Mummy, are you disappointed?"
I rephrased it,"Am I disappointed that you don't want to do ballet anymore?"
She said,"Yes."
I replied,"Of course I am disappointed, but Mummy doesn't want to force you to do what you don't want."
Tears streamed down her cheeks.
I was surprised,"Why are you crying?"
The lady beside us looked at her for a second and looked away, and looked back at her again intermittenly.
She was speechless, and kept crying.
I asked her,"Is it because Mummy is disappointed?"
She nodded.
I told her,"Of course I am disappointed. You've been doing ballet for so long and you're giving it up. But Mummy doesn't want to force you. Stop crying. It's alright."

I'm glad that I've a daughter who feels for me. Disappointed as I am, I want her to have a choice in what she does.

No comments: