Saturday 22 August 2009

Playing with Shutter- and Aperture-Priority Modes

I woke up at 4-something am just now and couldn't get back to sleep.

I was tired yesterday and slept at 8 plus at night. I would have sufficient sleep considering the fact that I'm always shortchanged for sleep during weekdays.

I saw the kids sleeping beside us. Baby's feet were on her sister's body. One was on the neck, and the other, her torso.

I decided that it was a precious moment and whipped out the camera. See? If it had been a hefty tool, I wouldn't bother.

I couldn't upload the photo to show though as the stupid computer doesn't read the usb port.

I'll do that next time when it's alright.

I tried one shot. It was dark, as usual, although it should be bright enough. I decided to stop playing with the shutter speed for once and tuned the dial to 'A' (Aperture priority). I brought it up to the smallest number, f4.5, for greatest aperture possible. And presto! The picture was bright and clear, not to mention 'sharp'.

Wow!

I really should have tried that long ago.

Ok, from now on, I shall adjust apertures for my indoor pictures.

Indoor - Aperture-priority
Outdoor - Shutter-priority

A reminder to myself: Aperture allows light in. The greater the aperture, the more light can come in and the brighter the picture is. And big apertures = small f number.

Cameras don't make a lot of mathematical sense I thought.

Ok, I'm not a Maths person. But shouldn't this theory or logic stand true as long as the world doesn't pass away - 'The greater the number, the greater the ... (whatever that is)'

I remember that a fellow NIE coursemate listed a line something to this effect as an Enduring Understanding for Maths when I queried about how this EU thing can be applied for Maths: the more you take away (minus), the less you have; the more you add on, the more you have.

But it doesn't make a lot of sense on a DSLR.

Take for another example: the shutter speed.

1/4000 is greater (greater speed) than 1/3.

???

Yeah, we're talking about time. In 'seconds'.

But when it shows up like that on the screen, it's confusing for a Maths idiot like me.

I struggle a lot, and I do mean 'A LOT', with the numbers and figures. I stop to think about the numbers, correlate them with the functions, and what I want, and then adjust.

I'm alot slower than other photographers definitely. I dare say most photographers are not lousy at Maths, like me. Most likely, they don't mind Maths, or do well in Maths.

Just take a look at the number of men who flood ClubSnap.

Men are by nature Mathematical and Scientific, comparatively to women.

At least this is what I've observed and it stands true for most men.

No comments: