Wednesday 23 September 2009

Day 5: Baby Boss City

We went to Baby Boss City at the recommendation of Coco's English teacher. Little did I know that it's supposed to be a one-day affair.

When I tried to buy tickets for Coco and myself, the counter girl told me that the whole day ticket allowed entry from 10 am to 6 pm. Alternatively, I could purchase tickets by the hour. I did my Maths and felt that it would come up to a few NT tens or hundreds difference, so I took the whole day package, fully knowing that we would just be in there for 1.5 h.

Theoretically, each job takes 30 mins to complete. When I went in, I was given this timetable on which the timing and venue for each occupation trial was stated. Much to my nasty surprise, Coco wanted to try being a cab driver.

We were told that Coco would need to go for a course and pass a theory test for driving, and after that, she would need to find two jobs so that she could earn an amount that allowed her to 'rent' a car and paid 'deposit' as insurance in case she bumped the car. I negotiated with one of the operators and she agreed to let Coco do just one job before she could drive the car.

There're tons of jobs to try out in there. The Centre aims to authenticate occupations for little kids from 3 to 14 years old. In my opinion, it's fun for kids aged 6 and below. Coco was just about the oldest there and she looked kinda grown-up in there, although she found it fun.



There she is, attending the driving course


The test was in conducted in Mandarin, with the formal version of Chinese characters. I had to explain to the person-in-charge that she was a tourist and couldn't read those characters before the lady started to explain to her verbally.

She got her driving license, but she didn't seem happy huh.
Her first job, a despatcher

The rules

Locating places

"You must be fast fast fast!"

Delivering parcels

Getting her pay


Finally, she got to drive


Her 3rd job, a policewoman

The kids were shown the prison cell

The aim sign outside the police station

She found her pistol

Some kids play-acting firemen


The lift to Baby Boss City

No comments: