Friday 12 November 2010

The Interview

I am back from the interview.

For all the jittery I was feeling earlier on, I am glad I went :)

The small-build 'Executive Director' who interviewed me appeared to be in his thirties and was approachable and friendly. Humble and down-to-earth, he briefed me about his tuition centre in a casual manner. Never in a boastful tone. I am impressed. Not once throughout the interview did I feel threatened or apprehensive, for anything at all. When I searched my bag to find a pen to jot down notes on what he briefed me, he even asked,"Your handphone is ringing ah?" suggesting that I could pick up the phone in the midst of the interview.

The tuition centre seems protective of its teachers. He asked me never to give my contact number or email address to any of the parents. "Only call parents if really necessary at the centre. Otherwise, parents are asked to call the centre and leave a message for the teachers," he said. He did not want his teachers to be 'harassed'.

He kept emphasising that their system worked differently from the ministry, even in the delivery of teaching materials. "Lecture style," he said.

Lesson plans, scheme of work, notes, worksheets are prepared by the centre, unlike what we do in schools.

That sounds ... er ... easy.

He was very humble. Throughout the interview, he repeatedly using the word 'help' to suggest collaboration rather than a top-down employment approach ie. "You help me to start up the classes at this centre first ..."

He may not speak in top notch English, but I can almost guess that he is a good boss. I could almost feel that he was the kind of boss that people would willingly go an extra mile for in their work.

Of course I may not be right. After all, I fail badly at judging people.

We firmed up my working day and hours very quickly, although the interview itself stretched for more than an hour. The interview started at about 5.45pm and ended at 6.55pm.

For the unaware, teachers are allowed to work for 6 hours per week outside school. I forgot that many people don't know about this guideline and remembered it only when my parents expressed concern that I would be 'found out' and get sacked.

This is a start to gauge if I am suitable to work outside school. If I like it, then it is an alternative for me to consider.

No comments: