Monday 29 November 2010

My studio lights, finally

I bought the strobes!

Profoto Compact 300.

The proprietor was one of the few dealers for Profoto. I had called him a couple of months ago about the lights, but he did not provide me with the correct information. He said that the kit only consisted of the lights and lightstands. Other distributors who were selling it at a higher price included a pair of umbrellas.

I had to think very hard about whether I should buy the kit with the umbrella, or save a couple of hundred bucks for the softboxes.

It took me about two months to finally decide that I could go without the umbrellas. When I called him again at 5.30pm, he listed the items in the kit, and they were exactly what other dealers would have!

I immediately told him I wanted it and got my sister to drive me all the way down to Outram to pick up the set.

The two lights

A strobe with a zoom reflector (the dome-shape disc) and reflective umbrella

Softbox and attachment ring

I almost died fixing the softbox

To insert the metal sticks into the attachment ring, you need to force them in. I didn't know you need to have the make of a bodybuilder or weight-lifter before you can be a studio photographer.

The interior of the softbox

2 comments:

DC said...

How are the Profoto strobes? Good? Can you share the wattage you bought and price? Thanks.

Rain said...

Hi DC,

The strobes are very good in my opinion. I have not used any other strobes so I can't compare with another.

They have been with me for a few years and still working well. I think I would be very sad if I have to part with them one day.

I can't really remember the price. It should be around $1200 to $1500?