Sunday 28 November 2010

My Mother's Birthday

My mother's birthday, my sister's birthday and mine are just apart from each other by 2 days. We celebrated our mother's birthday with a ten-course dinner at a Chinese restaurant in Yio Chu Kang Grassroots Club this year.

The birthday woman had just recovered from a bout of shingles and did not tell us about her self-imposed abstinence from food that were considered 'poisonous' in Chinese context. Among the ten types of food, she only had springrolls from the cold dish, fish, abalone, dessert and peach-like buns which symbolised longevity. We also went without a cake as she considered eggs as 'poisonous' as well.


The place

The food
Happy moment with her grandson
Happy family pic

For a restaurant, the food is certainly restaurant-like ie. better than your typical tzi-char stall.

They were not exceptionally fantastic, but good enough for me to enjoy them. The portion was good. I was full by the time the braised spareribs were served. In all, I skipped 3 dishes ie. spareribs, fish and peach buns because I was quite full.

It felt like a wedding dinner's dinner, and there was really a wedding held there. The couple booked only about ten tables and walk-in guests were allowed to dine in.

The service was good and prompt. The family picture was taken by an obliging waiter and he took the picture so much sharper than my colleague who had a DSLR himself.

We took our time in enjoying the food and company of one another. In fact, we arrived at the restaurant earlier than the wedding couple, but left later than they.

No comments: