Sunday 4 September 2011

Not too tough a decision

I have decided to stop Coco's piano lessons, after she took her Grade 3 practical exam a couple of weeks ago.

Reason? I often screamed at her over piano practices. I think instead of character-building, the learning of piano has become somewhat character-tearing-down. During those screaming sessions, I said things I should not be saying. I had wanted piano-learning to inculcate some form of discipline in her. I thought that by learning something that she liked, she would be motivated to want to practise to perfect piano pieces. But thus far, it had not been so. She was reluctant to go to the piano. She was interested in playing the piano - even her piano tutor said so, but she did not like to practise it, just like ballet.

It had proven to be highly stressful for me, and her. I was just short of dragging her physically to the piano each time I 'needed' her to practise it. The stress worsened during her CA2 period when her piano exam coincided with her school tests.

On top of all these, next year is a crucial year for her, so I made the decision to stop her piano lessons. If she does well for her PSLE, and would like to pick up piano again, she could.

The piano - how? I paid $8.6k for it after all.

Baby seems to be musically inclined. She can always be the next successor to her sister. : )

No comments: