Wednesday 7 September 2011

Putting up my backdrops

It took me almost a year to decide to mount a permanent backdrop, at home.

I do have a backdrop stand that holds up backdrops, but I am thoroughly exhausted each time I attempt to change the backdrops. The backdrops are very heavy to carry, very long and cumbersome to slot them into the pole that hold them on the stand.

I had initially wanted to mount the backdrops on the wall, but realised that with the false ceiling that I had, the vertical orientation of the backdrop brackets would give a very low backdrop.

It took me a few days to finally decide to mount the backdrops on the ceiling.

After some asking and googling, I found a man who did ceiling, Richard from Pin Pin, and he said he could help me mount the backdrops despite the false ceiling for $100, over the phone.

He first came down to take a look. No transportation cost charged. He described the process involved to me and showed me the screw he would use to do the job. He even assured me that a single screw could hold an adult up there when I expressed concern that that backdrops were heavy. After that, he asked me to give him a call if I should need his service.

First he cut out a rectangular shape from the false ceiling


 Then he screwed in two heavy-duty screws
 After that, he covered the cut-out portion back
 He covered it up with a paste
 The screws are fixed to the real ceiling, beyond the false one
 Then he cut away the excess part of the screws, and fitted the bracket
 The corresponding screws on the real ceiling at the other side
 He was so nice he used two white cones to cover the exposed ugly screws
He put up the backdrops with the help of his assistant

For both times that he came down to my place, Richard was early. He spent more than 2 hours on the installation, paid attention to the details (using cones to cover up the screws), and did extra for what he did not need to (helped remove the screws on my wall and filling them up with putty).

My father felt that the job was a complicated one and $100 was cheap for a job like that.

Like I said, I am one fussy customer, but Richard is someone I would recommend if anyone need help with his ceiling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi can provide me with Richard's number from Pin Pin. Need him to cut my false ceiling as my new wardrobe is too tall.

Thanks
Farah

Rain said...

I realised that his pin pin website can't be accessed for now. Richard's number is 97877834.