Thursday 1 September 2011

My First Maternity Shoot & My Sister's Eventful Pregnancy

I did my first maternity photo-shoot with my fifth sister two days ago.

Right now, she is in labour at the hospital, in anticipation of her fourth baby - a girl, finally.

She had breezed through almost all three previous pregnancies. They were easy pregnancies except for the third one - she had chicken pox in the third trimester. Fortunately, she and the baby turned out fine.

(Even as I am typing this post, Coco showed me an sms from my sister's husband: Baby is out.)

But she had suffered quite a bit this time round.

She developed bad itches all over, especially her legs. They were badly scratched. She had trouble sleeping at night because of the itch.

Then when she was approaching her 36th week, she had facial palsy overnight!

Facial palsy is a paralysis of face, usually affecting half of it. The facial nerves are beyond the affected person's control, such that he is not able to move the affected side of the face. So when she smiled, only one side of the mouth was upturned while the other side remained unmoved. She even had problems drinking and eating as one side of the mouth was not able to move. She could not close the affected eye entirely when she slept either. Her gynae 'assured' her that he got one or two such patients every year and they recovered after they delivered their babies.

We are hoping that the same will happen to her.

No comments: