Sunday 13 July 2014

Inborn or Choice

I was bemused by the outrage on Facebook and the forum over National Library Board (NLB)'s ban of three children's books.

At first, I was indifferent. Ban - ban lor. They are not my books. And it's only 3.

Then people started to talk about why they should not be banned. Many said that they have read at least one of the books, And Tango Makes Three especially, and every child who reads it would be none the wiser about gay sentiments NLB suggested it implies.

So, I searched for the book on Youtube, and sure enough, there it was.

It seemed innocuous enough I thought. I thought it could be read as two best friends who loves each other and want to live with each other forever, with a chick by their side like the other families.

I asked William what he thought of gay-ism and lesbain-ism. I told him about the two women I know personally who claimed that they are born wanting to be men.

He appeared to be very certain when he gave me his opinion,"It is a choice."

He gave me the example of his best friend. At one point, his friend felt that he liked men. When asked why, he reflected and explained that it was a period when he felt empty and he was hanging out with guys.

As usual, William was totally himself - he said to his friend,"No wonder you were looking at my ass!"

As for me, I feel that it is a personal preference, which William interprets as 'choice'.

I stopped judging this preference after a younger acquaintance from CHC enlightened me. She said that these people have needs in their lives. There is no shame in having needs.

For many years, I remember her words even though I have forgotten how she looked like or even her name.

I was amazed at how compassionate she was. At the same time, I was ashamed that I judged.

No comments: