Monday 14 July 2014

Another Heart-Stopping Moment

While I was at work, I received 6 missed calls.

When I called back, it was from the hospital. The nurse said that my father was panting badly, so he would be sent to HDU (High Dependency Unit) for observation.

Two of my sisters went down and watsapped us the information:

The doctor suspected that there was liquid in the lung. He raised two possibilities:

1) It could be water or
2) internal bleeding, for which a surgery would be in order.

My father would need to have a scan done to confirm the location of the liquid.

We were awfully worried.

I prayed for the seemingly impossible: that there was no liquid in the lung.

The scan was done. Amazingly, the doctor said that the liquid was NOT in the lung! However, it was outside the lung, taking up the space the lung would otherwise have to expand when breathing in. This explained why my father's breathing was compromised. He had been having short breaths and panting badly whenever he had to be moved, like turning when wiped, or getting up from the bed to sit on a chair next to the bed.

The doctor explained that the procedure involved inserting a tube to drain the liquid out. However, he did not know what the liquid was. If it was just water, good. If it was blood, it would be worrying. On top of that, the risk of inserting the tube was the possibility of bursting one or more blood vessels, which would result in bleeding.

He had to tell my father what he wanted to do to see if my father wanted to let him do it. My father nodded tiredly.

I prayed with Coco and Baby outside the room.

The procedure was over in about 10 minutes. According to the doctor, it was 800ml of water suppressing his lung and there was no bleeding due to the procedure!

We went to take a look at my father and he looked visibly relieved.

The next time I went to look at him, he was already fast asleep!

Thank God even crazy dreams come true.

No comments: