Tuesday 27 December 2011

Coco Learnt to Ride

I spoke to my boss about my decision to take no-pay leave today.

She was only willing to release me after May, two months later than my desired leave date.

The adjustment she was willing to make was having me doing part-time for April and May, so that I get to go home early to coach Coco.

I have to say 'yes' to it. I guess there is no other way to it unless I threaten to quit, which I am not about to do.

On a happier note, Coco picked up cycling today! We took her new bike, a Christmas present from her aunts and me, down the block and had her try paddling on it.

At first, I tried different ways of getting her to balance the bike while she was on it.

She wasn't making much progress. Then she asked me to hold her bike from the back while she paddled.

I wasn't too confident of holding her well since I am not exactly a strong woman.

Surprisingly, the load wasn't too heavy and I could manage her for a while.

And she started paddling on her own soon after. All these within 30 minutes of her starting to learn!

Wow! I am so proud of her. Never mind that she has not mastered starting off or braking to a stop.

I have always been envious of parents who teach their kids how to ride a bicycle. I always thought that there is such a great sense of achievement and fulfilment in being a teacher to your own kid in something like cycling or swimming. I never thought I could do it since I am a poor instructor and gives up easily. Perhaps it was the desire to be such a parent that made me curb my impatience or self-consciousness in teaching my own kid how to cycle.

Coco exclaimed,"It is the best day of my life!" when she first cycled independently.

That should be my line!

No comments: