Saturday 10 December 2011

A Whole New World

Nobody would believe it.

I registered for driving lessons! For all the technophobia I have, I have decided to give driving a shot. After all, I am just about the only person among my siblings who have not learnt driving. 4 of them are licensed drivers. As for the remaining two, one learnt but didn't follow through and the other got a foreign driving license.

Before I went down to the driving centre, I watsapped my siblings 180 times (in my 5th sister's words) about the to-dos and to-knows before deciding that I would take the theories as a private candidate.

I only had 3 vocabulary in my bird brain before I went down: Basic Theory, Advanced Theory and Practical.

I thought I was all ready: the moment I reach there, dash for the counter, tell them I want to do the theories as 'private'. Do eye test. Register. Get out of there.

The moment we entered the building, we saw this weird counter and room that said 'Traffic Police Test'.

I thought to myself: It's none of my business.

Then my 3rd sister pressed my panic button,"You have to take the Traffic Police Test."

Me,"Huh? I'm NOT going to be a traffic police!"

3rd sister,"No. Everybody has to take it."

Me,"... Is it the Basic Theory Test?"

3rd sister,"Yes."

That's Driving Centre Episode 1.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went to the enquiry counter. Tried to ask some questions. My elder sister and 3rd sister also helped me to ask questions.

I heard the words 'Final Theory'. I got a little fuzzy: Whazzat? Is it 'Advanced Theory'? Or is it another Theory test after Advanced Theory?

I was trying hard to reconcile all the new terms and things that I was freshly educated on ie. differences between 'private' and 'school' student, the fees, what comes first, what to do after registration etc.

In the end, I registered as a School Student.

I went for a briefing after that. Too much information for me to absorb too! My 3rd sister was there and she remembered the slides better than I did.

Then my family members left for my father's eye appointment at the hospital. And I was alone.

I was left with the registration.

When my number was called, I sat at the counter and waited till the lady asked me to do an eye test.

I put on my glasses.

She asked me to look at the four Es that faced different directions ie. up, down, left and right.

I was asked to look into this gadget that has rows of numbers and letters in it. Big and small letters too.

She said,"Tell me the letter below '7'."

I looked, puzzled why she had tested me on an 'E' that was so big. I did not even need my glasses.

I told her the answer, effortlessly.

The lady was silent for ten seconds.

Then she repeated,"Tell me the letter BELOW '7'."

I looked again. Oops! I made a mistake. I was looking at the letter ABOVE '7'!

I quickly told her the answer again.

Then she asked me to look at an even smaller E that faced down. I almost had to guess.

Now I know what my friend meant when she said they tested you on a ridiculously small letter.

That's Episode 2.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the eye-test, the lady continued with the registration.

At one point, she asked,"Do you want to book a test date?"

For some reason, I thought she was referring to the trial date.

I said,"No."

The lady crinkled her eyebrow,"No?"

I was surprised that she should be surprised,"Do I have to book it now?"

The lady replied,"No. But I can book it for you if you want to book it now."

I shook my head,"Then I won't book it now."

I almost left the centre without a test date.

Fortunately, I was asked to go to the Payment lady.

The payment lady asked the counter lady when my details were passed to her,"She didn't book a date?"

The counter lady replied,"She didn't want to book a date."

Suddenly, it dawned on me that they had meant the actual Basic Theory Test Date!

I quickly said,"Oh, is it the actual test? Yes. I want to book a date!"

Phew!

That's Episode 3.


I got a feeling that the drama will not end here.

No comments: