Monday 26 December 2011

A Stay-Home Decision

After reading some inspiring stories on kiasuparent forum of how working mothers who chose to stay home or continued to work were deeply involved in their children's studies during the PSLE year, I have made up my mind to stay home too for a few months, subject to my boss' approval, to be a Study Mum as well.

We have tried to make Coco an independent learner or study-er for 5 years to no avail. We often leave her to study on her own and come back to mark her work and go through the wrong answers with her. However, it has not worked.

Most of the time, she ends up day-dreaming or staring into blank space in our absence. She does not do work when I am not home. My father is her minder before I come home every day, but my father's word  of getting her to do her schoolwork - not to mention my or William's work - always falls on deaf ear.

I feel that making her do work herself is unproductive. It is the most crucial year now. After five years of doing something that is totally not working, I don't care how it will be done now. What's most important is it's DONE, even if I have to sit beside her and look at her write every word or number.

It is exasperating. I am not saying it is not. She writes slowly. She even takes a few seconds to write one letter sometimes. But I asked myself if I would regret it if I continue to work for the year and leave her to her own devices, as opposed to her doing badly and I continue to work.

Of course I would.

Does my taking no-pay leave and sitting beside her guarantee good result from her? Of course not. But I can be sure I would not regret doing that a year later.

It is not without struggles that I have come to this decision. I am fully aware that by doing so, I am at great risk of getting that dreaded grade during my appraisal. I would sustain great monetary loss, not just for these few months, but my bonuses would also be badly pro-rated as well.

My parents and sisters are not for the idea.

I got so upset that I asked my parents if they were prepared to be blamed by me for the rest of their lives if Coco did not do well.

They kept quiet. I drove my point home.

I have to prepare myself mentally that I have to 'eat grass' for the rest of next year. I have to say a lot of 'no' to Coco and Baby's wants when we go window-shopping and see something nice. And I have to be very prepared not to lose my cool at Coco over the monetary loss when she is trying during coaching.

Tomorrow would be the day I inform my boss of my decision. I hope I don't stir up a hornet's nest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mummy, go for it!

Anonymous said...

i just happened onto your blog through a google search for cutting out false ceilings...

if your daughter has learning difficulties, you may want to read up on the various types of learning disabilities and go through the checklists of symptoms, if only to rule them out.

Staring blankly into space or failing to concentrate on treading, may not be lack of concentration, it may mean that reading/self-studying is more effortful than normal. It could be a learning disability or eyesight problem.

p.s. You can also send your daughter for an eye exam at the children's eye clinic at TTSH. They do a number of tests not done by the normal school checkups.

best wishes.

T.

Rain said...

T,

Thanks for reading.

I don't think my kid has learning disabilities, unless there is a syndrome called 'Refusal to learn and do homework' syndrome ;)

Much to my despair, she is able to focus or concentrate and completes her work in very short time if she chooses to, but often she drags on for reasons I know not. Perhaps it's to escape from more work upon completion of current work?

She has good eyesight too. She often can read prints I can't and I don't wear specs on a daily basis.

Thanks for your suggestion. One of these days, I might really check out the various forms of learning disability just to rule out, like you said.