Friday 6 December 2019

Day 4: Fun at the Museum of Housing & Living & Quick Shopping at Shinsaibashi Shopping Street

I felt like I hadn't tried everything at Kuromon Market so I proposed returning there for our breakfast on Day 4 morning.
We were there at about 11am and the crowd was smaller than the previous time we were there
This time, we went to the 'corner sushi shop' again, and I wanted to try their fish bowl. My mother picked their 'Best Recommended No. 3' which consisted of tuna and salmon (1400 yen). 

I am no fish gourmet so all I could tell about the dish was that the fish was fresh and I didn't get any runs after eating raw fish with rice.
Then I was enticed by this little shop beside the sushi shop which most people would just walk past.
I tried their beef bowl with an onsen egg that topped the rice.

All these bowls are relatively small bowls and I shared the fish bowl with my mother so they barely filled my stomach.
We sat at the counter for a quick eat
We came across this black ice-cream and felt compelled to try it

Two shops facing each other were selling black ice-cream. One was vanilla flavoured with black colouring which we enjoyed. The other was more like dark grey and it was black sesame ice-cream. Baby and I didn't like the flavour so of course William had to eat it.
We headed to the Museum of Housing and Living which was next to the exit of the train station

If not for the fact that I could recognise the characters '今昔馆', we would have gone on the wild goose chase for the museum. The museum is located in the grey building which appeared to house a bank. The name of the bank was more prominent on the building than the Museum of Housing and Living so we had our doubts when we stepped into the building.
We followed the instructions and took the lift to the 8th floor
and paid for the tickets at this counter

Not sure why but William said he was asked to keep his backpack in the lockers behind the counter. I took my bag in without any problem though.
Then we entered the museum on the left
The counter also allows visitors to rent an audio guide
9th floor has a section where kimono rental is available 

The rental window is 30 minutes and you can only wear the kimono and take pictures on the 9th floor where the Edo period housing and living condition are depicted life-sized. The area was quite small so 30 minutes in the kimono was quite adequate. I thought if they had provided hairstyling, that would be more complete though.

The concept was well-thought through. Even domesticated animals such as cats and dogs were given a place in the space where time stood still.
The street featured about 6 to 8 shops selling different merchandise. This is a shop that sells 'dolls'.

Fabric shop
The watch tower above the town
Details like amulets in a shrine are not neglected
A street shrine

Without the audio guide, I would not have been able to identify the shops and the functions of different structures and items in the museum so do rent the audio guide if you visit the place. The explanation makes the visit more meaningful.
Classroom on the 8th floor
The models of Osaka in different periods


Exhibits of 'ancient' household items
They really know how to hurt a woman in her mid-life. 
My mother and aunt had used some of these when I was young!

Shinsekai in its heydays 
Taken in the 'street' 
Not sure why my face 肿肿的. So awful. The same thing happened when I was at Mount Fuji a few years ago.

I have read that some visitors missed out on the kimono rental as they went there 'late' but I noticed that there was a schedule for the kimono rental throughout the day and all the visitors who went to the museum on the day I was there did not have a problem renting the kimono.
We visited the Shinsaibashi Shopping Street not too far away from Dotonburi for some shopping.

What we observed was that the shops mostly cater to female customers. We hardly found any shop that sells children's clothes! Men's staff were minimal as well. Lots of clothes stores were having Black Friday Sale but they were selling mostly winter clothes since they were entering the wintry season soon.
We were amused by this. I soon realised it was a neck-warmer for clothes without turtle-necks. It is worn under the jacket or down so nobody could tell that it's just a piece of cloth.

I only had one child-size down jacket from Uniqlo for my Seoul trip two years ago and I borrowed one light down and two nice jackets from my sister-in-law for this trip, so I wanted to buy a nice coat for myself.

Found a nice coat but I wanted to think about it so I popped over to the shop opposite to shop while waiting for William to turn up. I took my time to shop leisurely and when it was time to try on the clothes, the salesgirl told me that they closed at 9pm and it was 8.50pm by the time she told me! It turned out that the first shop I wanted to get my coat at was no exception, so I didn't get to buy the coat I was mulling over!
Baby kept telling us that her trusted cousin told her that Japan's Yoshinoya is way superior to Singapore's so we popped into this branch at Shinsaibashi on our way back to our hotel.
Beef bowls. Strictly just beef and rice! I asked for an egg.

I have never tasted the food at Yoshinoya in Singapore as it looks highly unappetising so while this was passable which I downed all, I am not able to compare.


No comments: