Saturday 14 December 2019

Doing Research on Kimono Rental

I decided to jot this post down as the process of researching on kimono rental was very much a part of this trip. I thought it would make for a good resource for someone who is like me, going to Kyoto and wanting to find a beautiful kimono to rent.

I was in - not just two minds, but many many minds, about which kimono rental shop I should go to.

I had browsed through a few shops online before I came to Japan but I could not find something that I liked. Most designs are loud or too colourful. I wanted pastel-colour kimonos with smaller floral prints, and because of the shoot, I wanted a package that comes with make-up services.

Unfortunately, make-up services in kimono shops do not seem common. Most shops do not offer the service.

Until 11.30pm the night before the shoot, I was still choosing the kimono shops.

Some of the shops I had browsed through were:

Yume Kyoto (Sister branch of Yumeyakata)

Other links:


Among the rental shops, only Yumeyakata offered make-up services but I didn't take it up as its kimono selection failed to entice me.

My sister told me that she rented from Wargo. The online selection did not delight me but I gave it a second chance by visiting its main shop at Kyoto Tower. I was even more disappointed when I saw that the limited selection was awfully unappealing. 

At the eleventh hour, I decided that Okamoto's designs were most acceptable to me so I clicked on the 'reserve' button for 9.30am the next day.

As customers would be able to change their reservation package on the spot, I opted for the cheapest kimono (2980 yen) on the reserve page so that I could upgrade if I wanted to.

We reached Okamoto Main Shop near Kiyomizu at abouot 9.45am. Late. The shop assistants didn't flinch and ticked my name off the reserve list. Then we were led to the 2980 yen kimono section and asked to choose from there. I told the staff that I would like to look at the 3980 yen and 4980 yen selection as well and decide from there.

The 2980 yen and 3980 yen kimonos were mostly plain and dull coloured so I chose from the 4980 yen section. Note that kimonos have height restrictions so I did not have to even check out the ones for heights ranging from 170cm to 180cm.

There was a good selection for petite people like me though. There were quite a few that I fancied and I could not decide between a yellow and a pink kimono. One of the staff picked out a purple one and handed it to me instead. And it was beautiful too!

The children's selection was extremely limited though. Baby said the staff picked out only 4 available kimonos for her to choose and she had to pick the best out of the worst. I felt sorry for her and apologised for the tiny selection and the not-so-nice design.

So perhaps if you have kids, Okamoto would not be the most ideal.

We were led to a room where at least 3 or 4 ladies were dressing the customers up. I was asked to take off my clothes till I was left with my undergarment. Well, since there were only my mother and Baby, and one or two leaving customers, I obliged. My mother and Baby said 'No' to the ladies though. Can you imagine: they are more assertive than I am?

After the dressing up, we were brought to the dressing table to do up our hair. We were given 6 options and I asked the young girl, who didn't look like she was happy to work there, to choose it for me since I thought she was the expert. She got it done within 5 or 10 minutes.
This was taken at the end of the day, in the hotel room.

Then we were asked to choose our hair accessory. Obviously, the not-so-friendly-looking girl made the selection for me as well since I did not know what to choose.

After putting our valuables ie. cards and money into the Japanese pouch, and putting our clothes and bags together, we were asked to remember our number for the bag and we could leave.

Before leaving, two pictures were taken professionally and they would ask if you want to purchase them.

We left the place at about 10.30am so it took us about 45 minutes in all from the selection (20 minutes) and dressing up. 

We walked down the street leisurely before boarding a cab waiting at the roadside to get to Shijo Mcdonald's to meet our photographer.

No comments: