Sunday 8 December 2019

Day 6: Making Our First Trip Out of Osaka: Himeiji Castle, Koko-en Garden & Kobe (Beef)

It was the first day we were to utilise our JR Passes. Our first JR destination was Himeji Castle.
It was about an hour's travel by train. When we reached Himeji Station, we walked for about 10 minutes to Koba & More for our first meal of the day. The internet stated that it opens at 11.30am. No. It opens at 12pm. We could not wait for another half an hour so we decided to 'just eat anywhere' again.

Cold weather warrants a warm cup of coffee and sandwiches
Since we were just another 10 minutes' walk away from Himeji Castle, we continued to walk on.
Gingko trees!
This was what we saw from across the road. So beautiful!

To get the combination ticket for the garden and the castle, you have to buy it from the ticket counter, not from the vending machine beside it.
It was sheer coincidence that our visit fell on a Saturday. 
I read later that the ninjas, warriors and guards only appear in their respective gear on weekends. 
Sakura? So beautiful! If I ever have the means, I would be back for the cherry blossoms!
We were given a plastic bag each to contain our shoes that had to be removed in order to enter the castle and you have to carry the plastic bag yourself until the end of your visit. Then you return the plastic bag which would be reused for the next batch of visitors! I put my camera in the plastic bag together with my shoes!
There are 6 levels to the castle
Every level looked almost identical to me. Just a huge space of wooden floors.

I read some of the information stated at each level and it seemed to me this part of the castle was where the soldiers stayed at. There were store rooms for weapons and the place was not very well-lit. Felt a little claustrophobic and jail-like to me. I didn't do any research on the internet and this was how I felt about the place. My information may not be correct so don't trust me on this one. For all I know, the emperor or princesses lived here!
We had to access every level via the wooden steps and they were steep! 
Nothing much to see at all the levels! The Osaka Castle was a lot superior, I thought. 

But hey, what do I know? Himeji Castle is the first UNESCO World Heritage Site in Japan! There must be something great about this place, just not for the ignorant me.

Exhibits before we exited the castle

"Sigh! Like that how to take pictures?"
Ninja
Warrior

Note to everybody: Visit Himeji Castle on the weekend.
We walked out of the castle, somewhat disappointedly, to the direction of the Koko-en Garden
We enjoyed the Garden a lot more than the castle! Too beautiful with all the autumn foliage!

Koko-en Garden is a collection of 9 gardens which are designed to reflect the four seasons of Japan. The Garden was quite crowded with mountain tortoises like us who wanted a piece of autumn foliage in our pictures. This is more 'not to be missed' than my Hoshi no Buranko view!

Some musical performance which only the Japanese could appreciate




My mother claimed that the Japanese roasted chestnuts tasted different, meaning 'better', from the Singapore roasted chestnuts. I tried two but didn't taste the difference. Maybe they tasted healthier.
Our visit coincided with a food fair near Himeji train station so we stopped to try a few items. 
Grilled oysters
It was kind of late so at first we were not sure if we should act according to our original plan of going to Kobe but we decided to go there for the Kobe beef even if it's just to 'register' that we had been to Kobe. Lol!

Other than its superior meat, Kobe beef is also known for its exorbitant price. I googled for a restaurant with good reviews and found 'Steakland' which seemed to offer delicious and good-value Kobe beef.
Steakland was near the train station so it was quite easy to locate. I was surprised to find that there was no queue as it enjoys very good reviews on Tripadvisor and it was advised to make reservation prior to the visit.
There were available tables in the restaurant and we were led to a comparatively private table with teppanyaki set-up. I had imagined that we would be served steak like how it is like at Jack's Place but it was indeed teppanyaki style.

My mother and I opted for the 5880 yen 'Special' Kobe beef meal set that came with salad, vegetables, soup and rice/bread while William opted for just the 'Special' Kobe beef at 4880 yen.  Baby did not have to order anything so that was great. There were a few Kobe beef options so I asked what grade the 'Special' Kobe beef was. The lady explained that the 'Special' Kobe beef is Grade 5 while the rest were not. I am no expert but I briefly read that Grade 5 Kobe beef was the better grade. I am sure this is only skin-deep but for a novice, this is enough. 
The chef presented the raw meat as the picture above to show us how our meat looked and asked for our preferred meat doneness before he proceeded to perform his culinary skills.

This was towards the end of the cooking
William described the meat as 'melt in your mouth'. 

I would not go as far as to describe it as such. It was very tender for sure. Very enjoyable and pleasurable to have the flavours bursting in the mouth as you bite into the meat. It was certainly unlike any beef I have ever tasted. However, after finishing my share and eating two more pieces from my mother's plate, I was starting to find it too oily, so perhaps it's great for enjoyment but anything in excess is always undesirable.
Other patrons view from where we were seated
The bill

I read and saw that Kobe beef was sold in Dotonburi as well. I would not know if the taste would be the same but there were no regrets making this trip for an authentic'Kobe beef meal, in Kobe.

No comments: