Tuesday 17 December 2019

Review on Meldia Hotel Kyoto Nijo

As we would be spending a few days in Kyoto, I booked a hotel about 7 minutes' walk from Nijo Station.

I chose Nijo as my priority was to get to Arashiyama early and I didn't want too much trouble changing trains. Unfortunately, we were held up by the senior hotel staff as he took a long time to complete the administrative works for luggage courier, and to make matters worse, the luggage were not sent although it was through no fault of the hotel. My gripe was my precious time was wasted and I still only got to Arashiyama at 11am - the time I dreaded to reach since it draws the largest crowd at that timing!

The hotel was manned by 3 male and 1 female staff, by shifts. They were of different age groups: young, middle-age and old.

The young lady and the middle-age and old men were Japanese and their English was comprehensible although limited. The young guy was a Eurasian, I think, so he spoke perfect English.

Helpful staff, as well.

On the day when we checked in, they realised that there were some discrepancies in the booking information. Oh, this was the only hotel we booked through Booking.com. It indicated that we had booked for 3 adults only while we had the information that we did book for 3 adults and 1 child.

We waited for about 10 minutes for them to change the sofa into a sofa-bed before entering the room.

On the night we were to check out, I had misplaced my credit card in one of my luggage. Thinking that it could have been thrown into an unwanted plastic bag, I asked the young guy if the cleaner could have seen it. He sincerely informed me that the cleaner did not report to them and advised me to search through the garbage, which the cleaner would usually leave behind the hotel on Level One.

I told him that I would search through my luggage first and thankfully, I found it in another plastic bag!
The hotel was easy to find compared to its Osaka counterparts. 

No confusing train station exits or routes.
We followed the instructions and pressed a 'reception' number which opened the glass door and we took the lift to the 6th floor.
Not a luxury hotel but chairs were placed beside the lift to create a seating area
Our room was just an aisle away from the red lift door.

We noticed that there was another room at the end of the corridor. William surmised that there were only two rooms in this hotel. He observed that the building was a residential building and only the 6th floor had the name of the hotel indicated on the lift button.
The small, humble counter and the reception area
We were happy with the spacious room
We were advised to remove our shoes at the walkway and avoid walking on the carpeted area with our shoes on.




The bathroom and the toilet were in separate cubicles. Although the bathtub was the smallest among the hotels during our trip, it was very practical. You sit in the tub rather than lie down.

Everything that you could possibly need was in the room, at least for me. Oh, there was a wardrobe at the walkway which I forgot to take a picture of.

It was a comfortable stay despite the hiccups. I just felt that it was a little far from the train station compared to the rest of the hotels. However, the cabs did not want to drive us to the hotel from the train station as they were not familiar with this hotel and its location. The area also seemed to be rather quiet and it was almost always grey and raining although the other areas were not raining at all!

No comments: