Sunday 30 December 2007

Blogging fears

Sometimes, I fear that I get too honest on my blog.

I don't want to end up like Otto Fong, who was forced to close down his blog after his student chanced upon his page on his thoughts on being a gay. I think that's really sad.

I don't know, but blogs are diaries aren't they? As you get more 'intimate' with blogging, you can't help but start to type your genuine thoughts, like my thoughts on teaching. It's so stupid to start an online diary and yet not say what you have on your mind. Or perhaps there're too many grey areas. I do agree that we ought to be 'professional'. When I first read about Otto Fong's incident, I did agree that perhaps he shouldn't be so upfront about his sexual inclination since he's a teacher. But well then, if a teacher who is of an ordinary profession can't reveal his sexual orientation, who can? A writer perhaps - since he works in isolation? And what's the point in making diplomatic, obedient entries when this is supposed to be your thoughts in manisfestation?

Sometimes, I find myself getting too enthusiastic about updating my blog with pictures.

But I don't develop them. I take too many pictures it's become unrealistic to develop them all. But I do want to show them, to God-knows-who, and myself. I find myself getting more daring when it comes to blogging. It's worrying. One day, this blog might end up on my boss' computer screen and it'll be hard not to be upset with me over my opinion and views on my job.

I think it's exciting to know what kind of search renders your blog uncovered. Most of the time it's Home Decor Survivor. One of these days, Mediacorp might approach me to get me to take down what I entered for the show, especially the defects of the furniture.

Sometimes, I worry that someone I know might chance upon my blog.

I don't like to air dirty laundry in public, but my blogs have almost all the records of my unhappiness in my marriage. It will make me vulnerable to public and private scrutiny if someone I know decides to share my blog with mutual friends.

Sure. I can make my blog private by not disenabling the search option, or putting a password on my blog.

But I like sharing my thoughts with strangers. I find safety in sharing my secrets with people I totally don't know.

If you chance upon my blog, keep it to yourself, so that I can continue to share my deepest thoughts with you.

No comments: