Monday 19 April 2010

Celebration of Coco's birthday - Part I

We finally went Universal Studio after months (March and April) of anticipation!
It was to celebrate Coco's birthday that I decided to take the kids there, together with her favourite best friend M and her cousin Xavy.

The biggest carpark I ever saw

We only realised that Universal Studio opens at 9am on the very day. Although we reached there at 10am, I'd overlooked the rule of 'No food from elsewhere' and we had to finish eating Coco's cake outside the venue. I thought the tone of the manager or whoever could be milder - "I know it's your daughter's birthday. I know you want to celebrate with her, but no food is allowed." By the time we got in, it was already 11am.


A must-take picture at the entrance


I'm actually very impressed that most people there are civilised and nice. From the look of the photo, you wouldn't be able to imagine that there were tons of people waiting to take pictures of the globe. The truth is: everybody was just hanging around, waiting for a brief opportunity to take a picture. And most people would just move away if anyone moved close to the globe just so that the person could be able to take a picture with the globe, exclusively! Of course, it doesn't work this way all the time. But most people there have a common understanding that we are there to have fun and not to create frustration.

Coco wanted a photo cake of herself and her best friend. Polar Cakes allows a short notice of just 3 days in advance and could give us the smallest possible size (half a kg). Prima Deli needed a minimum of 1kg and needed 4 days' notice. You can even tell them how much of the photo you want the print to show.

The map

Entering Universal Studio, with our computer-printout tickets

Another must-take picture at Madagasca

The queue for Puss in Boots was quite short

Our 2nd station: Far Far Away

Enchanted Airways is supposed to be a junior roller coaster, but the timid me didn't dare to take.

While in the queue for the ride, you get to be entertained by posters related to the ride, and according to my sister, something is played over a speaker to keep you occupied for a short while. There are also fans in the crazy queue for better ventilation.

Before they went ...

Up the slope

Xavy was so frightened he bawled loudly, with tears streaked all over his cheeks, while on the ride

We were so busy comforting Xavy that I missed taking pictures of Shrek's castle. We were almost shoved into the 4D theatre without knowing what it was about. We were asked to put on this green-framed glasses when we went in. The first room featured a small tv on which it showed what happened in Shrek 1 and 2. I thought it was boring and didn't understand what the glasses were for as I could see things better without them. I told my sister that it was boring and if we could get out of there. Then the doors to the 'chamber' opened and it was then that we realised the real thing hadn't begun yet!

There was an announcement saying that flash photographers will be hung on stage. I didn't use flash but as the donkey sneezed, a slight drizzle came falling on my camera! Twice!

The 4D glasses worn for the show

It was a new experience for us. Most people wouldn't understand what 4D means. It basically means having the 3D effect (the characters and props eg. the sharp end of the spear, look like they are popping out from the screen) coupled with the realistic effects of having bristles brushing your legs from under the chair (when spiders are shown on screen), and your seat getting jolted continuously or suddenly when the characters are riding on a horse-driven carriage or being thrown off.

The exit led to this place 'Godmother's Potion Shop', where fruit juices, sweetened artificially I think, are sold.

This merry-go-round is right inside the Potion Shop. From afar, it looked too small to be functional. I thought it was ornamental!

I hid under the armpit to minimise the squinting because of the glaring sun

We had lunch at the food court. Had to wait for 30 minutes before we reached the stalls. And the food sucks.

A dinosaur skeleton replica of Night at the Museum's dino

Presenting to you ... the worst bak kut teh and the worst chicken rice in Singapore! And the 4 horrible-tasting plates of normal chicken rice and 1 bowl of bak kut teh cost a whopping $50.60!

3rd station: The Lost World

The only rides, out of the two, I took, with Xavy. Even then, I was a little worried that the dino carriage might collapse. Yes, I'm paranoid. I don't trust machines lah.


This looks fun, but I still didn't dare to try


4th station: Ancient Egypt The second ride I took, after queueing for 40 minutes. It's a ride fit for a 3-year-old.

I like the way they dress up the souvenir shops.


We went back to The Lost World for the 4.30pm show


The actions are similar to the 80s Hong Kong films. Good guys versus Baddies. Lots of fighting, shooting, explosions, stunts, all by ang mohs.

The seats at the auditorium are clearly labelled. The first few rows are labelled 'Totally wet'. The next few rows, 'Slightly wet'. I was shocked to see a caucasian man holding a gun squirt, squirting water on whoever he deemed fit! So that was how they got people wet! I went up the rows to the seats that would not get wet for the benefit of my camera.



We took some dino egg pics here.
A souvenir shop in Ancient Egypt
There were too many people. Couldn't get an unblocked shot of this.

At the exit of Ancient Egypt and moving on to Sci-Fi City

5th station: Sci-Fi City

The kids went wild when they saw the Accelerator

It's basically teacups that spin round and round

6th station: New York

I like antique cars

Last station: Hollywood

There is a souvenir-cum-accessories shop that generously allows visitors to put on the array of hats for picture-taking

At a candy shop

Snack stop

A Popcorn car for Coco at the exit of Hollywood

I think we'll be back - for more photos, and we haven't even tried the 'Crate Adventure' at Madagasca yet!

Universal Studio opens from 9am to 6pm, although it was still open at 7pm since the crowd was still lingering around. I think you really need to go there at 9am to enjoy the place to its fullest. At 11am, it was abit late and we found ourselves rushing abit, missed out on the shows, and the rides. To catch all the shows and rides, it'll be good to do a bit of research on what attractions there are at each place. We didn't and we missed out quite alot - the majority of attractions and photo-taking I would say. So I would certainly go back there again, probably in December.

No comments: