Monday 23 August 2010

The Day

Today marks a significant milestone in Coco's piano-learning: she took her Grade 1 Exam this morning.

She has been taking piano lessons since primary one from different tutors ie. the Canadian-methodology school, a patient full-time piano tutor, a part-time cheat, and now this music school.

It has always been my deep wish to let her take Grade One exam so that she may start embarking on this journey of music.

I felt the pressure when Coco was only given her exam pieces in June, when she was due to take her exam in August! She was expected to play 3 pieces in all and she was only taught how to play the third piece 'Trudging' only 3 weeks before! I guess I can't expect a distinction from her since she was taught so last minute, but I must admit I was worried that she would fail after so many years of learning piano.

The school called me yesterday to inform me of the dress code: formal.

1) Long skirt - must be over the knees
2) Covered shoes

I actually bought the skirt and shoes without Coco last night.

I was pleasantly surprised to see her match the skirt so well with a nice blouse. She is a natural fashionista.


When she came out of the exam room, she was holding her exam pieces book with two hands, looking a little worried, and calling,"Ma ..." with some hesitation.

I was shocked when I saw her out of the room after a mere ten minutes. Crazy thoughts flashed across my mind: The examiner told her that she was not ready and should go home; she should come out to get the scales book from me since she could not recall anything, and could not play the piano.

It was only when she said,"It's over." and the registrar for the exam concurred with her that I believed that it was indeed over.

All the preps for a mere ten minutes. Whoa ...

No comments: