Friday 10 December 2010

Facebook Addiction

Recently, I find that I've become addicted to facebook.

I have three facebooks: one for my family and friends I know in reality mostly, one for the singaporemotherhood friends whom I never or rarely meet and one for my students.

I don't like the idea of having too many 'friends' on a facebook. It gets really crowded with comments and what people are thinking about 'loudly'. I don't fancy seeing '300+' as 'Recent'. I don't like to backtrack to read what had happened. It makes me feel dated about the information.

There are information that I don't think it wise to share with people who are not that close to me, even my thoughts. I don't know how I appear to them and I am not sure how my thoughts, when typed on facebook, will affect the way they look at me. Yeah, I know they are 'strangers', but I feel self-conscious about what others think of me.

I created a facebook specially for the students because they wanted to add me to their friends' list, but I did not want them to invade my private life. And like the above point, I don't want my students to form undesirable opinions of me based on my comments or thoughts, especially when their parents have access to them too!

I like the games on facebook. I love Bejeweled and Suma. I find myself sitting in front of the computer for hours trying to beat the others at their scores. That's really unhealthy. It takes alot of effort to pull yourself away from it though. I am still trying ...

Facebook is one of the reasons I won't get an iPhone. I would be a slave to technology if I ever get one. In fact, I am still using an old Nokia handphone, even though the number '8' has faded and its screen has cracked, due to my severe abuse.


Sometimes I think blogging is as addictive ...

No comments: