Monday 6 December 2010

Loving it and Hating it

Clubsnap is a local photography forum that offers a wealth of information about cameras and photography.

But often, I wish it can be be friendlier.

I feel that many photographers, professional or not (by 'professional', I mean those who earn a living by photography), are arrogant while others are selfish.

Honestly, it is the most hostile forum I have ever been to.

Any question you ask, in any section, can trigger a verbal war, especially a newbie question like "Which camera should I buy?"

Many will say crap like 'It's not the camera. It's the photographer'.

Then tell me why top photographers use expensive gear, and usually top-of-the-range bodies and lens? Ask them to use a compact digicam lah. Or disposable camera. Even better. It's the photographer, right?

I once stumbled upon a Caucasian photographer's blog and she said that she and her husband, who partnered her in the photography business, started out with a D90. After their business started becoming profitable, they switched to D700. She said that there was no problem shooting with D90, but her clients deserved something better because D700 offered better colour and quality. They were instantly wowed by D700's pictures the moment they saw them.

I trawl through tons of pictures now and then and all the awesome pictures are taken with at least a semi-pro camera like D200 or pro series like Canon Mark I or II. What does that say about the importance of a good camera?

I always try my best to give Coco the best tools in whichever area she needs: the piano for music, the roller-blades for skating, the squrriel-fur brush for painting, the Japanes-brand poster colours, even her colour pencils. I am a firm believer of tools having a significant effect on the product delivered. Having good tools also affects the user's self-esteem and confidence in the related art.

So saying that 'It's the man behind the camera, not the camera itself' is total crap.

Okay, I am still at the first question: Which camera should I buy?

Some forumers try to be helpful and suggest a brand. Then a new war begins: the brand is not important. All brands are good.

Stupid.

How do such answers help a newbie?

Then some will give even worse reply: Don't expect to be spoonfed.

Isn't this supposed to be a forum where people share their knowledge? If people already know the answer, why should they come to the forum at all? Forums are supposed to be great for ready, if not quick, answers.

Many users also like to quote threadstarters or other users out of context and argue non-stop just to show that they are knowledgeable.

Many users are condescending in their replies. Even if they really teach you something, it's like you have to pay with it with your pride by thanking them for an eternity to show how grateful you are and typing out your ignorance as opposed to their infinite wisdom.

I am not sure if this has got to do with it being a male-dominant forum. Singaporebrides and Singaporemotherhood are not like that. You can ask the same question a thousand times and no one will say,"Please do a search on the forum. This question has been asked many times."

If I wanted to do a search, or knew how to search for the information I needed, I wouldn't be here asking a question using a new thread!

Has it to do with men thinking with their certain body part and not brain?

If anything, Clubsnap has shown me the ugly side of men. Most men I know or meet in reality are nice and polite. They help you when you are ignorant about something. They don't laugh at your ignorance and channel their energy to showing how idiotically ignorant you are. They are seldom rude or condescending.

But in Clubsnap, under the cloak of annonymity, many men have manifested their true form - rude, arrogant, unnecessarily proud of dunno what, reluctant to share or help, condescending, ride on knowledge high horse (coined from 'moral high horse').

I am not saying everyone is like that. But the fact that it took me four years to post my first thread tells you how daunting it is to ask a question there. I had tons of questions, but hesitated for so many years before I finally mustered my courage to post it. And true enough, it invited hostility from the unhelpful ones.

Recently, I expressed displeasure over the quality control of my strobes. A user actually 'investigated' the matter by checking out exactly what happened with the company which distributed the strobes, and queried me about the need to clarify the matter further rather than shooting down the brand and run away, when I was not in Singapore at all for just a few days!

I think that's kinda scary. There are two ways to look at it: 1)the person is a die-hard fan of the brand and wants to defend it badly. 2) the person had nothing better to do, got too much free time on his hand and wanted to help the concerned company 'reinstate' their reputation, when nothing tangible is at stake.

If he is doing it for money, I can understand, just like how an online photography shop owner probably did a search for my nick to track down my queries on strobes and answered them accordingly. I can see where he was coming from since there would be money made in his case, if he closed the deal that is. But for someone who is not even an employee of the company to 'investigate' something that is so trivial? I am perplexed to say the least. Shocked even.

Of course, I have learnt alot of things from this forum. If not for this forum, I would still think that modelling lights are continuous lights, only flashlights can flash, and that every flash is directed at the subject's eyes and it will make the subject uncomfortable.

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge it offers and know that whether I like it or not, it will continue to be around for a long time.

There are users who are helpful without being condescending. If only Clubsnap can have a majority of such users, cut out all the 'don't expect to be spoonfed's, then it will be one of the best forums indeed.

No comments: